Author Topic: Gilbert Measham 1775/6 Derbyshire  (Read 909 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilbert Measham 1775/6 Derbyshire
« on: Wednesday 10 April 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
This might get complicated!!! Gilbert Measham born Repton  1775 allegedly..but is not in the Repton PR's. Married Mary Meakin 1801 and had loads of kids..no problem. and died aged 84 in 1860.but where did he come from??
He is NOT the Gilbert Measham born 1790 Repton who.as a widower Married Mary Ann Parker in 1831 and died in 1858....I have a full history for this man, and he is irrelevant.
I am told that Gilbert 1775 was the son of Gilbert 1747 Repton....not so..or of William Measham 1743 Repton..again, not so.
The two Gilbert are so similar that they have been confused by some into being the same man or details attributed to the wrong man. The guy- MY Gilbert- who married Mary Meakin in 1801..was NOT born in 1790...neither was he the widower who married Mary ann Parker in 1831..because Mary nee Meakin actually outlived him...I have every last thing on this Gilbert..except his origins.. I know there is a Leicestershire connection somewhere..Odstone? Thornton?  but I can't pin it down    .Can anyone shed light - Please??  Derek (on behalf of a friend)
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert Measham 1775/6 Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 19:51 BST (UK) »

I note that when Gilbert & Mary married the witnesses were John Meakin & Mary Thorpe.

On the 7 September 1801 the entry before them at Repton is Thomas Measham to Catherine Smith.

Maybe related?

The best I can come up with below?

Repton, Derbyshire, baptism William & Ann
Gilbert Masam 1 Mar 1776

There were two Thomas Measam baptisms at Repton 1779 & 1781 different parents

John & Hannah Baptism Repton, Derbyshire
John Meakin 22 Jul 1780

However?

John & Hannah Baptism St Osmund (Osmaston by Derby)
Mary Meakin 4 Nov 1785

16 when married not impossible?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin..I've found the following:
Gilbert 01.03.1776 Repton son of William MASAM and Ann........Ann turns out to be Ann Tunnicliffe of Ashbourne..who married William Measham at Ashbourne 1773.........crucially it says William Measham of Repton....so surely it must be the same man....William Measome born 1743 son of William.......
I'm a stickler for accuracy..but I think this'll do for me!!
Thanks again  Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek, thanks for your reply.

I note the Witnesses at the marriage of William & Ann were Gilbert Measham & William Tunnycliff, both signed, as did William Measham.

I could not find the baptism for William in 1743 but I did find the following.

20 Jun 1743 Derby, St Michael, Derbyshire
Marryed William Measam & Anne Shepperd both of this parish and the town of Repton in the County of   Derbyshire

Gilbert Measom son of William 15/11/1743 Derbyshire

Willm Measom Baptism 20 Sep 1745 Repton, Derbyshire. However when you view the OPR on Ancestry there is no baptism on that date, it might be the wrong image, not sure?

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
 Colin, on the  South Derbyshire BDM site has transcribed the baptism of
William Measom, son of William, 20th September 1745, at St Wystans
church, Repton.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK