Author Topic: Cooper marriage and birth - Dublin  (Read 324 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooper marriage and birth - Dublin
« on: Wednesday 10 April 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
Is there some kind soul who would be willing to look for the marriage, in Dublin, of one Robert Cooper to a Bridget Burke/Bourke between 1799 and 1806, and the subsequent birth/baptism of their daughter Sarah there, for me? I believe that Robert may have been in either the 93rd Regiment of Foot, or the 72nd Regiment of Foot, both of which were stationed in Ireland during that time frame, but have drawn a complete blank with Regimental Marriages and Births, so this is a last desperate shot at finding the info.

Many thanks, in advance.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper marriage and birth - Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, no, Maggsie, but thank you for looking. Robert and Bridget Cooper were only in Ireland until 1806, and ended up settling at the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) where Robert became a non-commissioned officer in the Cape Regiment. Their daughter's age was given on her marriage record as 19 in 1819 (b. 1800) but I suspect that she was actually a year or two younger than that, and may have been born in Dublin between 1801 and 1803.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
rootsireland has a transcription of

5 Jan 1800 in Killala
Robert Cooper (of unknown)and Bridget Bourke (of Killala).
No other info really.
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism of a Robert Cooper, parents as in the above marriage, in Birr, Co. Offaly, 24th May 1804.
Father's regiment given as 38th Foot.

Perhaps a different couple, just the same names.
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, Dublin. I've checked up on the 38th Regt. and although they were in Ireland in 1790, they went off to the West Indies and the Low Countries between 1796 and 1797. There's a gap in their recorded movements between 1797 and Jan 1806, which is when they took part in the capture of the Cape of Good Hope, but the 1804 baptism you found clearly puts them at Birr in 1804. At any rate, the 38th are one of several infantry units who were loaded onto transports at Cork around July or August of 1805 in preparation for what became known as the Battle of Blaauwberg.

Robert was involved in the capture of the Cape (shortly afterwards being transferred to the Cape Regiment which was formed from existing British troops and Hottentot militia, to protect the newly taken colony) so it's entirely possible that he was in the 38th Regiment, and not the 93rd or 72nd as I had supposed. It's also occurred to me that although Sarah's marriage record says that she was "of Dublin," it doesn't necessarily mean that she was born there.

If Robert junior is this couple's child, he would nicely fill in the gap between the births of Sarah and her sister Catherine. The latter was born around September or October 1807 in the Cape Colony, so was presumably conceived when Bridget rejoined Robert on his transfer to the Cape Regiment.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I found Robert Cooper junior's South African burial record, which confirmed that he was born in 1804, so I'm delighted to say that the baptism you found, Dublin, is for the right family - thank you! Sadly, Bridget's Death Notice says "Parents unknown," so we're not likely to find out who they are unless someone has a missing Bridget Bourke from Killala in their tree!

Offline cantwellsweeney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Geordie's Daughter.  I am a descendant of the Robert Cooper, who was a member of the 38th Regiment of Foot, stationed in Birr, Co Offaly with his wife Bridget Burke at the time of the birth of their son, also Robert Cooper, 24 May 1804.  The 1804 Robert  is my 3xG grandfather, who remained in Birr and married a woman named Mary [last name unknown]. Their son Michael (1824-1890) lived his whole life in Offaly, in Cloghan and Banagher; his wife ws Catherine Smollen (1832-1901).  Many of their children emigrated in the late 1890s to the US, mainly to Trenton, New Jersey, including my great grandmother Mary Cooper Kelly, a Rose Cooper Brown, and a John Kelley.  Those who remained in Ireland include Robert Cooper, Bridget Cooper Coughlan (whose son emigrated to NJ as well), and Catherine Cooper Melamphy Loonam.  Hope this points you somewhere.  Ann

By the way, I also find (on Rootsireland) a George Cooper who had a son named George in the same year of 1804 and was also part of the 38th Ft. I can't find a connection to my line.  This division had a fascinating history, and was more formally known as the 38th (1st Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot.  I'm unclear whether its members were generally from Staffordshire initially, particularly because Cooper does not seem to be very a common Irish surname. 

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 May 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, looks like it's back to the drawing board for me then! The Coopers have been problematic in more ways than one as there's so little to go on, and records are very patchy in the early years of the Cape Colony, too, which doesn't help. "My" Robert's death notice gives his place of birth as Hampshire c. 1775 - I wonder if the George Cooper you mentioned was born there too, or somewhere completely different?