Author Topic: How many times have you had to re-write your tree!!  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many times have you had to re-write your tree!!
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 June 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
That's interesting - and I'm not disputing what you say, but how do you know she wasn't just telling a lie?  Is it just one instance, or have you several examples of this?

I'd be interested to know of other researchers' experiences too??

(I agree about the term Mrs, but that's just a courtesy or form of address, not a legal concept).

Melbell

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 June 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have seen both spinster and bachelor used in cases where the people concerned had been previously married. The first time it sent me off on a wrong tangent, researching the wrong family.
It seems to have been done in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. How widespread the practice was I  can't say; I've  seen it in Gloucestershire, London, and Devonshire records.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  It's interesting that it seems to occur reasonably frequently.

Melbell

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 17 June 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
I started researching my tree about 15 years ago. I am just getting back in to a new stint of it and stupidly realised I have not always noted my sources... so I have no idea how I came to the conclusions that I did.

In some cases, connections I have made are so glaringly incorrect it's embarrassing! I have poor old Ann King apparently having children into her 60's - it's a big mistake, can't figure out what my thought process is so it's back to the drawing board.

It is great to see so many new resources though - I know I am a few years behind here but only just got told about the GRO search research, incredible!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 17 June 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome back to Rootschat and family history in general ~Rachel~.
It's so easyvto make simple errors when you've got a head of steam up adding information to your tree. Just the other day I noticed several different surnames in my tree starting with O' that had small letters following. Who knows how long they'd been like that.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 June 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
I often have to rewrite the tree when I find the supposed ancestor is still a relative. His first cousin or her first cousin, or his father remarrying at an older age.

I have a feeling that the John Britton, widower, who wed Sarah Dalby in 1811 in Rayne, Essex was in fact his father John Snr, and the right marriage was John Britton to Sarah Adcock in Finchingfield in 1803. John was born in Felstead in 1783 to John and Ruth Britton. Ruth died in 1810 in Felstead.

John and Sarah Britton (Nee Adcock) had a duaghter Ruth in 1803 in Finchingfield, then Lindemira Brittain. I descend from Louisa born 1817 in Kent (the family moved there for a short time). John and Sarah had a final child Jemima in 1819.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain