Author Topic: How many times have you had to re-write your tree!!  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many times have you had to re-write your tree!!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
The good thing about using a computer database to produce a tree is no rewrites are required unlike in the past when trees were drawn by hand.
In those days rewriting a tree was common, there was a limit on the number of additions you could make before the tree became unmanageable and a rewrite was required to allow a better use of the space available.
You can probably imagine the frustration when after adding a couple of hundred names to the tree you found you had transposed the numbers of a date from 1865 to 1685 or similar Tipp-Ex could carefully be used but you always annoyingly knew it was there.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 07:45 BST (UK) »

Not rewritten exactly but have had to chop a branch or two along the way.  My ancestors had the habit of using grandparents names for the eldest son, but it wasn't limited to just the eldest son in a family, brothers did it as well for their children, so you would have 4 or 5 eldest sons in one family all having the grandfather's names.!!! So barking up the wrong tree is very easy to do.  Tried matching wives, but common names and same surnames didn't make it easier!!!!

Death Notices in estate files here can offer up wonderul information especialy from a well filled in one, but a wrong turn is still easy to make!!!

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
Bourne  before you rewrite your tree couldnt you be correct
& the record saying   bachelor includes widowers

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
The odd snip, too. The biggest one was when I accepted a branch from someone who was obviously more experienced then than me, which I accepted. Years later she had the grace to write to me confessing that she'd got the link to my tree wrong. As a result I revised that and all the records that I'd accepted from someone else, and now I've nothing other than what's been verified to me.

Needless to say, I've seen this wrong connection still on some Ancestry trees.... 
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
Brigidmac, are you saying that a widower could indeed call themselves a bachelor, I've always assumed bachelor meant "never married" although I would still need to find a marriage record for John Lock, but it would help assume they are one and the same.

Guy - Tipp-Ex can you still buy that stuff  :) does make you glad of computers sometimes, amending hand written trees must have been a horrendous task to undertake, not to mention time consuming.

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Bourne ..yes a bachelor as in free to marry ...

Same for a spinster .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
I have never seen any records where a widower described himself as a bachelor. However, I have seen a married man describe himself as a bachelor so as to get away with bigamy.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Twice a complete re write, one was after I lost my paper record of the tree pre internet days the second time when my computer ( along with my back up external hard drive) was stolen.....both times it enabled me to research each and every person again, although I sort of knew who I was looking for and where they were likely to be....... and I have another 'tree' with lots of gaps as when I began no one in my family would tell me anything, my mother particuarly 'anti' so I knew there was lots being 'hidden' no one wanted me to find out about, so that tree satisfied her when she snook a look as I knew she would given the opportunity that her 'secrets' are still hidden ( they aren't) but no point in upsetting anyone.

As no one gets married off before I have found the marriage record, and no one dies/buried until I have found the record I don't have to do much pruning either. However there are many who are alive still hanging around after 150-200 yrs when 'I know' they have died but don't know where/when.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 19:21 BST (UK) »
I`ve just been doing a bit of lopping this week !! Also, putting back some stuff I`d just deleted !!

I`ve a William Short who`s been in out of the tree twice this week, goodness knows why because it`s my own work, verified several times, but sometimes I doubt myself !! Then I found I`d got an extra William,still not sure so back yet again to see who he belongs to. The problem is 2 sets of parents John and Mary married within a year of each other in the same church.

The same thing in another village, this time 2 John and Annes.

Fortunately a complete rewrite hasn`t proved necessary, thank goodness.