Author Topic: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
A colour from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pat.

Carol. I didn't consider that it was my grandfather posing with his sister, this could be the case has both his two sisters married in 1945. My only reservation was that i know the man sat in the deckchair on the beach is definitely my grandfather and i wasn't convinced that the solider, the man with the woman and child and my grandfather were all the same person.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to the chap in the cap, then I think he is the same man as the soldier taken some time later. I thought you meant the other guy who looks to be related, but is not the soldier.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

i'm not sure of the gent in the cap, my grand father is the man on the right in the deck chair this is the only thing i know for sure.

Do you think the gent in the cap is the soldier ?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
There is a strong resemblance in my view, but, It's not the other chap, as I mentioned earlier, the soldier has a different hair parting to the guy without the hat, but there is a likeness.
I feel fairly certain that the soldier and the guy in the family photo are the same person.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I would say the couple on the beach with toddler are the same couple as original pic. I also think their ages would fit with 27 and 18.

I say post war because of the 6 yr good conduct stripe and medal ribbons. Unless he was a soldier pre war in which case you need his records from MOD.

The dress looks too white to be parachute silk, I have the last remnants of my aunts at home. It is actually far from white, more pale beige in colour being natural silk. Parachutes were made up of many small panels so difficult to get lengths from a-line to hem without a join.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 April 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
I’ve since discovered that the gent in the cap in the deck chair is my grandfathers brother in law. The guy sat next to him on the right is my grandfather.

I definitely think that you are right, the soldier and the gent sat on the beach are the same person. Is the female in the wedding picture the same female sat on the beach?

My great grandfather served in WW1 for 9 years before being released on medical grounds. On the 1939 Reg he was re-enlisted.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 April 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
In my opinion, I don't think the bride is the girl on the beach, as I mentioned earlier,  the hair colour is different and the bride looks to have a cleft chin or dimple but it could be shadow. The girl on the beach is very young, look at her legs compared to the man, I believe the man's wife (the bride) could be taking the photo. I think the beach photo could have been taken in the late 1940s early.
Carol

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
In my opinion, I don't think the bride is the girl on the beach, as I mentioned earlier,  the hair colour is different and the bride looks to have a cleft chin or dimple but it could be shadow. The girl on the beach is very young, look at her legs compared to the man, I believe the man's wife (the bride) could be taking the photo. I think the beach photo could have been taken in the late 1940s early.
Carol

There is a similarity to the bride and the girl on the beach I think though the beach girl is too young and minus the cleft chin as you mention Carol.

The man with centre part looks quite a bit older on the beach than his wedding photo. Might the girls both be his daughters?

There is an obvious age gap between the "daughters" so this might be a good starting point for a search? (although of course there could be other children not present)