Author Topic: Joseph Fielding Beaumont  (Read 842 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Joseph Fielding Beaumont
« on: Thursday 11 April 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I believe Joseph was in the British Army during the First World War. Can anyone find any details of his service? I can’t find a medal index card by that name, although there is one for a Joseph F Beaumont of the Royal Artillery that may be him.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Fielding Beaumont
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  Those that survived are on Ancestry/FindMyPast

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 19 12:58 BST (UK) »
There is a Joseph Fielding Beaumont.. Corporal Royal Garrison Artillery
Regiment number 42925
Previous unit Base DTLS.RGA
Medals awarded British  War Medal Victory Medal

Rosie

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks! That’s got to be him.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
For the 1939 Register, can anyone decipher the additional note next to Joseph’s details? He’s Joseph F Beaumont, born 1888. Living with his wife Lillian and his daughter Brenda in Yorkshire. I think it says ‘constable West Riding’ but I can’t make out the first word, nor understand its relevance to the taking of this schedule.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
Is the writing in red and to the right of the occupation column?

If so it relates to war work (other examples would be A.R.P., volunteer fireman, ambulance driver).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
I read it as 'special constable West Riding'.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both, I understand now. I’m not sure what a special constable would’ve been exactly.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
I’ve read that it was a sort of part-time or reserve policeman. Seeing as he served in the first war (albeit in an administrative capacity) he would’ve been qualified to do so, although he was 50/51 when war broke out.