Author Topic: Henry Wheeler 1798 - After Transportation did he return to England?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Wheeler 1798 - After Transportation did he return to England?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
From the convict index on NSW Archives https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/searchhits_nocopy?page=1&keyname_search=wheeler&id=65

Henry WHEELER (1837 Norfolk) was given an absolute pardon.

Henry WHEELER (1837 Norfolk) was given a Royal Warrant Pardon on 27 August 1840.

So I believe he would be free to return.

Ros

adding : Newpaper announcement http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31731234

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Just adding some info about pardons https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/convicts/tickets-of-leave

An absolute pardon gave a 'lifer' complete remittance of sentence. The convict had freedom of the colony and could return to the UK.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 April 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
Yes,  that Pardon reads that it was FREE pardon, so it was free of any conditions, so free to return to England.
The wording of the pardon is quite flowery - but maybe they all were then. Here is part of the document:

"We in consideration of some circumstances humbly represented unto us are graciously pleased to extend our grace and mercy unto him and to grant him our free pardon for his said crime. Our will and pleasure therefore is that (not sure what it says here)  the said Henry Wheeler to be discharged out of custody and for so doing this shall be your warrant given at our court at St James the twenty seventh day of august 1840 in the fourth year of our reign."

Does this help understand the kind of pardon it is?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 April 19 02:42 BST (UK) »
Some details about Henry, home address, previous occupation, etc, ... do you know what happened to his wife and children left behind when he was transported?

18 December 1835  The Morning Post, London.
Police Intelligence.   Bow Street – Stamp Forgeries.

Information has recently been obtained by the authorities at the Stamp Office, at Somerset House that forgeries of stamps have been for some time past carried on to a very considerable extent, especially in the article of playing cards.  In consequence of this information, Ellis, Ballard and Keys, officers of this establishment, were ordered by Sir F Roe to make inquiries, the result of which was, that warrants were issued against several suspected persons.  Ellis went with a search warrant to No. 122, John St, Smithfield, where he took into custody a card maker, named  Henry Wheeler, who occupied the attic floor, and found upon his person thirty eight pieces of very thin paper, each containing an impression (forged) of the stamp upon the Ace of Spades, forming one of a pack of playing cards.  On searching a loft over the attic he found a plate from there could be no doubt the forgeries he found upon the prisoner’s person had been struck. 

The officer brought  the prisoner before Sir F Roe at the evening sitting, and the above circumstances having been briefly stated, the  prisoner, who declined saying anything, was remanded to give time to produce the necessary formal evidence.

Mr Sircum,  and two other Gentlemen, attended from the Stamp Office for the prosecution.  The prisoner was once a licenced manufacturer of cards but in consequence of some faux pas (it is said) the licence was withdrawn, and he has since been extensively engaged in manufacturing cards with forged stamps.

A respectably dressed man, about the middle age, named John Lomas, was next put to the bar by Ballard under the following circumstances:

Ballard, it appeared, had a search warrant against the prisoner on suspicion of being concerned in the transaction with which Wheeler, the former prisoner, stands accused, and in consequence of information which he obtained he went close to a house in Grove Street, Holloway Road, but wishing to watch to see the prisoner before he proceeded to search, he waited some time, and saw the prisoner come out.  He followed him some distance, and observed that he had something of a flat square shape in a bag under his arm …….

From an offline index resource
12 February 1837,
Henry WHEELER, per the Norfolk arrived Sydney NSW. 
He was aged 40, Protestant, a married male with 3 children : 2 Male , 1 Female.  He was a labourer who could read and write.  He was born London.  He was tried Central Criminal Court for being in possession of stolen property.  Trial date 4 January 1836.  He had no previous convictions, he was found guilty and received a sentence of life, transportation beyond the seas.  He was 5 ft 2 ¾ inches tall, with dark sallow complexion, hazel eyes and his hair was dark brown mixed with grey.

31 December 1837 Convict General Muster NSW
Henry WHEELER, aged 40, per Norfolk 1837, with the Colonial Architects Department, Sydney.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 April 19 02:50 BST (UK) »
I have edited my earlier post, to reflect the info about his three children  :)  I must remember to refrain from checking RChat threads at 2 a.m. in the morning, while waiting for phone call from family member who was in transit to Europe from Melbourne, Vic, Australia.   ::)  ::)

The chap on the Norfolk was aged 40,  married with 3 children ( 1 boy, 2 girls ) ... from convict indents ....

What type of pardon?

JM

EDIT,  please see reply #12 .... yes 3 children,  but they were 2 males, 1 female.  ...

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 April 19 04:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Very interesting stuff. I’ll check what happened to his family in England. I think he was living in Spitalfields when he was arrested.  think the Old Bailey records mention where he lives.

Are there any passenger lists to check to see if he did make his way back to England?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 April 19 05:40 BST (UK) »
From NSW Archives ...  doubtful if an outward passenger list from Sydney for 1840-1844 would be found....  the actual warrant should have been needed to be presented to the ship's master for authority to leave the colony, and if so, then it should have been recorded on the manifest.   Convictism to NSW had effectively ceased in 1840, so there was a slackening of the enforcement of regulations regarding port requirements for ship's masters to sight and note these licences to leave the colony, afterall it was no longer a penal colony.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide

Passengers Departing
The earliest departure list is dated 1794 but apart from the Ships musters, 1816-25 (NRS 1289), outward passenger lists were not regularly maintained until 1898.

From the 1844 marriage, did Henry sign?  the convict papers have him as read and write, and he was assigned for work in the Colonial Architect's office, so likely he had drafting skills ... penmanship, thorough knowledge of geometry, ability to draw to scale, to read a blue print,  etc etc etc ... all were skills he would have had in his earlier life before his conviction .... 

JM

also  :)

ADDED

Yes - on his marriage certificate in 1844 he is a bachelor - so this might not be right. He is 45 when he marries and he marries a minor. Which might be a bit odd as well... I can't find him on the 1841 census or the 1851 census.

He is granted a free pardon. Not sure what that is exactly.

Attaching a snip,  I am thinking that the chap transported to NSW is not your chap.   The snip shows Henry to be 'of full age'  ie 21 years and over.   It does not say he was 45. 

The Henry WHEELER transported to NSW may well have returned to England, or stayed or gone to another place, or changed his name, or any number of other alternatives.  But the Henry Wheeler who was assigned to the NSW Colonial Architect's office would have needed a fine hand to work there, and his previous life prior to his conviction he would also have needed a fine hand there.  The signature on his marriage does not reflect that.   I am happy to stand corrected.

JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 April 19 06:12 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Question ... How many chaps named Henry Wheeler lived in St John Street Smithfield in the 1836-1837 timeframe and had been at the Old Bailey in that same time frame ...
Answer ... at least TWO ...

27 February 1837
A chap named Henry WHEELER of St John St, was a witness at the Old Bailey.   
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t18370227-845 

4 January 1836
And of course another Henry WHEELER of that street had previously been convicted and transported to New South Wales …   (this chap was of 122 St John Street)
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t18360104-340
Norfolk left England 27 October 1836, arrived Sydney NSW 12 February 1837

JM

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 April 19 07:00 BST (UK) »
For lots of reasons I’m beginning to think the marriage in 1844 is not for my relative. Mary’s dob does not match with the 1861 census I have found. She is much older - born in 1816 not 1831. Initially I thought maybe they were covering up how young she was. Now I’m not so sure.

Henry Wheeler’s job is a labourer on different crime documents. Also, from the old bailey records his forgeries don’t seem to be much good. However, if he got a job with the architects he must have been pretty good. I also think I have seen a census return with a Henry Wheeler with card manufacturer as his occupation. But I can’t remember where! Lots of food for thought.