Author Topic: Skewed redactions in 1939 Register, Hartlepool Durham  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Skewed redactions in 1939 Register, Hartlepool Durham
« on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain or comment on this?  Are the skewed redactions in the centre of the page deliberate, or a photo error?

Martin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Skewed redactions in 1939 Register, Hartlepool Durham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Someone mis-keyed a line number when transcribing, or forgot to transcribe one entry.

Each column was transcribed without the person being able to see the ones each side - the personal data thing.

I've seen the redaction leap up AND down, and seen it leap two lines.

Of course that lets us see things we are not supposed to. If you report the page, FindMyPast should be able to tweak it. Not sure what Ancestry do.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 19 08:06 BST (UK) »
I come across this a lot. I always thought it was a photographic issue.

It's a bit of a bonus because the blanked-out detail on ther unredacted person should be given on the transcript, but you're also given a bit of info on the redacted person that might be useful confirmation, like a DoB or in this case an occupation that tells you that the person is almost certainly male.

.... and from the DoBs should not have been redacted anyway

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
Perhaps an expert on here can explain how the redacting is done?  I can't believe it has all been done manually by people with reels of thin black tape.  So it has been done electronically.  I guess the system 'knows' where to start and end each solid line, and if that gets out of kilter it has been told not to go diagonally but jump up or down somewhere in between?  The text on top doesn't make the jump, so it seems unintentional.

EDIT  -  thinking about it, there's no point telling a system any more than the start of each row of data that needs redacting.  It just mistakes the end of the row, either up or down one line (maybe even two lines), joining them up as described.  ???  A clumsy kind of OCR, I assume.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
Andrew, that is what I thought. I can't understand what could have gone wrong. I certainly won't be reporting it.

(Do family historians have a different attitude to data protection, I wonder?) Discuss.

Martin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
It's a bit annoying at times, but you can glean info about the accidentally-revealed people.

In this case, Alice Hopwood ought to have been hidden, and Benjamin Parrot ought to be visible. You can still find out about Benjamin from the transcription, but if you are looking into the Hopwood family you know that Alice was at home, but not her date of birth.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
Andrew, I should clarify one thing.  I wasn't actually looking at the data on that page, I just noticed the oddity.

Martin

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 April 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
The black lines were added electronically (so they can be removed individually as records are opened) and could be made to 'curve' to follow the lines in books that were tightly-bound, causing the scanned image to be distorted, especially near the fold. Most of the time this worked as it was meant to, but where there are mistakes the pages can look pretty weird!