Author Topic: Requesting service records from MoD if person transferred from RAF to Army  (Read 375 times)

Offline campinginalaska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would someones service number remain the same despite transferring from the RAF to the Army? My great-grandfather served a majority of his career in the Royal Engineers but from what I've been told about him, he apparently started in the RAF and ended up putting in a transfer after seven years. He got a long service and good conduct medal while serving in the RE (did 20 years) so I'm assuming maybe he didn't transfer and it was just hearsay (His oldest living relative was born when said great-grandfather was 30.)

Sorry if I'm a bit of a newbie I'm new at this  ::)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting service records from MoD if person transferred from RAF to Army
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Short answer is no, he would have received a different number in the army. 

You don't say what the time frame is although if he definitely started in the RAF (and not one of its forebears)  it must have been after April 1918?  Would you like to post his name and what you know about his place/date of birth and it may be that we can find out something more about him.  Does his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal have his number engraved?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline campinginalaska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
Short answer is no, he would have received a different number in the army. 

You don't say what the time frame is although if he definitely started in the RAF (and not one of its forebears)  it must have been after April 1918?  Would you like to post his name and what you know about his place/date of birth and it may be that we can find out something more about him.  Does his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal have his number engraved?

MaxD

Hey Max.

It was after April 1918, from what I know it was in the 1950s as he was 18 when he joined, so that would put it around 1951 or 1952 and he received his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in 1969 (which would correlate with a join date of 1951.) His name was Thomas Bell Rodden and he was from Bathgate in Scotland, his date of birth is listed as 14 Nov 1933 on his death certificate though I have ordered a birth certificate from Scotlands People and the preview on the site lists it as 1932 there so I'm afraid I can't help much there until it arrives!

His service number is on his medal though! 24047393. Forces-War-Records.com confirms that alongside with confirming he was in the Royal Engineers (which I already knew.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
When you have his birth certificate you will, assuming you are, or can get the consent of,  his next of kin, have everything you need to apply to the MOD (Army) for his record (plus £30).  It may, or may not, have details of any previous RAF service.  The National Archives index of RAF personnel 1918-1975 (AIR 78/136/7) does not have a card for him which at the least says they don't have any records.

I'd suggest you go ahead with an application to the Army Personnel Centre  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records.  Forces War Records do not have his detailed service record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia