Author Topic: Outhwaite/Oathwaite family, Humberston  (Read 95 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Outhwaite/Oathwaite family, Humberston
« on: Saturday 13 April 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, everyone. There are two people I'm searching for the births of right now, Ann Oathwaite and her uncle, John Oathwaite, who was called "Humber Jack" by the locals in Colchester, where they both lived, in reference to him being from somewhere up north. There's a village in Lincolnshire called Humberston, where an Ann Outhwaite was baptized 15 Feb 1732, daughter of George and Mary Outhwaite. Humberston is a coastal village, like the city of Colchester, so that can be related to John's occupation as a ship owner. I found this out from a thread on reddit. Maybe there's a baptism for John there?

Her uncle John was supposed to be about 22 years old when he married Sarah Spicer in Colchester in 1746, so he should have been born in 1724. If there's a John baptized there around that time, it would help confirm the Ann born in 1732 was the same one who moved to Colchester.

Also, I wondered if there's maybe a marriage record for Goerge and Mary Outhwaite there?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Outhwaite/Oathwaite family, Humberston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a John Thwaite Uthwaite bapt 1 May 1722 at St Mary's Wigford  s of George Uthwaite.
That's not far from Humberston.

I can't see a marriage for George and Mary.
There's a George and Mary Tarry at Wigtoft 11.10.1685 but that's too early surely.

Ciderdrinker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
Oh, wow, thanks CD, that looks like the right person. :) Can I ask where you found the record?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
St Mary le Wigford is in the City of Lincoln, about 40 miles inland from Humberston.

The record is on familysearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NG54-H8M
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk