Author Topic: marriage records, St Mary's church, Clayton St, Newcastle  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage records, St Mary's church, Clayton St, Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 19 13:00 BST (UK) »
I've added them to my list for the FHC. I'll give it a go, even if you can discount these churches its a step in the right direction.

It wasn't just registrars who had difficulty with names/accents/spelling attempts. I have one child (family name was something resembling McGargle/Mcgarrighal) whose birth is registered as 'McGallagher' and his baptism has the surname in the RC baptism register is down as 'Migarrighan'. Given the number of years its taken me to suss this family out there is always hope for your folk to be found!

Boo

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Boo.

As you say, I'm guessing any search will eliminate St Mary's from any future searches. (It been 30 years since I discovered the Dunn/Mcdonough pairing :o and since then, zilch! (apart from finding out the forenames of Michael's parents. :))

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobslass

So sorry but I failed to find either of these marriages at St Mary's. There is a handwritten index included and I checked that first then just to be sure flicked through the images for a few years on the offchance the index had errors. Still not found.

Though to be honest it was a long shot, if they'd been married there then I would expect something in the GRO index. As there's not, then either they married elsewhere (Ireland  or maybe even Scotland) or they just didn't marry.

I didn't have time to check St Andrew's but have left this on my list for next time I go.

Boo

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
Boo, thank you so much for your time.
I agree with your summary and I strongly suspect that they just didn't bother, which is really aggravating because the names of the fathers would have helped me enormously. I've been searching for 30 years for the Michael & Julia marriage and have even had a few trips to the National Library in Dublin - all to no avail!
I suppose Newcastle was a large place, with lots of comings and goings, making it more difficult for the priest to keep tabs on everyone. 

Offline LDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 July 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Bobs Lass,  I stumbled on your chat when I searched for St Mary's church.  I to am looking for information on parents of Catherine Dunn and Patrick Hogan.  I have unsuccessfully located a marriage record.  I have copies of their death registration.  I next plan to see if there is a church record of death that might have more family information such as parents names.  Have you had any luck finding church record of deaths?

Offline LDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 July 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
Bobs lass, One other question for you based on your following comment "In 1861 this couple shared a multi-occupancy residence with a third couple (McDonoughs) and their month old child. The child was registered as McDonough, mmn Parker. Later in 1861 this Mr McDonogh and Miss Parker married in Middlesbrough, before moving to Scotland". I believe this was Commons McDonough?  Do you know were in Scotland they moved too.

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 August 19 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, LDH. No, I never managed to find burial records for either Catherine or Patrick Hogan, although I don't think that either would have given information of their parents.
Yes, I did mean that in 1861 Patrick and Catherine were living with Commons McDonough. A daughter was born to Commons & Catherine in 1862 at Castleton, Roxburgh. I also found the following: born 1866 Bathgate West Lothian    - Ann  d/o Thomas McDonough & Catherine Parker  and born 1868 West Calder, Midlothian   - John s/o Thomas McDonough & Catherine Parker. I do wonder if Thomas/Commons had a speech defect???? The family were in Newcastle in 1871 recorded as Cummins & Catherine, but by 1891 they were Thomas & Katherine, with a morphed surname!

Which of the Hogan children is your line of interest?

Offline LDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 August 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, just sent you message.