Author Topic: Royal African Corps question  (Read 261 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
Re: Royal African Corps question
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, again, ShaunJ.

Now that I am back home, with a better connection and a bigger screen, I can follow up on all those links.

Dare I ask where Alexander Young's service records might be?
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:57 BST (UK) »
If any records of his army service exist, I would have expected to find them at the National Archives, but nothing comes up in a search of the catalogue.

See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-officers-1913/ for the possibilites. You could also try the Royal Scots museum who will conduct research for a small fee. http://www.rhf.org.uk/research/

He does seem to have remained parented to the 21st Foot. I am wondering if his posting to the Royal African Corps in half pay retirement was a matter of accounting convenience - of budgets and establishments.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
If any records of his army service exist, I would have expected to find them at the National Archives, but nothing comes up in a search of the catalogue.
Yes; hence my question.

Thank you for those leads. I will try to follow them up.

Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith