Author Topic: Looking For People From Hull  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For People From Hull
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
Did Charles Brooker die in the war or afterwards?  Do you know the forename of Mrs Brooker?  Approximately when did she join the Richardsons in Hull?

MaxD

The war ended in 1918 and Charles Brooker died in that same year.  That's all I know.  Mrs. Brooker, whose maiden name was Harriet Riley, was in Hull by 1919.  She went to live with her sister, Louisa, and brother-in-law, John Robert Richardson.  Mrs. Brooker had three children, Lily Brooker, Albert Brooker, and Winnie Brooker.  Then, in 1924, Mrs. Brooker married a man named John R. Berry in Sculcoates, Yorshire.  By him she had a son, Lawrence John P. Berry, whose birth was registered in Hull in 1925.  I suppose one would need the British census of 1921 to find out who all was living in the Richardson household.  I don't know if Louisa and John Richardson had any sons or not--and neither does my cousin.  If they did and one of them was my father, my cousin would still be related to me as Louisa was her grandmother's sister.  My cousin and I share 1069 centimorgans of DNA.  I'm not certain if that is too much for a more distant relationship.  Probably, Albert Brooker or Lawrence Berry would be the best candidates but my cousin could not place them in the battle for my hometown in Germany during or after the war.  My cousin thought Albert served in India and Lawrence [very young even in 1945] was either in the Royal Navy or the merchant marine.  This about sums up the entire difficulty.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 00:23 BST (UK) »
You might find this useful:

https://dnapainter.com/

Select the box under the pale blue bar which says "Go to the tool" and enter the cms to see the relationship estimates.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Small progress perhaps.

A Driver Charles Edwin Brooker of the Royal Field Artillery died in France from wounds on 28 March 1918.  His wife was HV Brooker of 8 Cromwell Terrace Chatham (Kent).  CE Brooker married Harriet V Riley Q2 1912 in Medway district (Kent).  There is a child of the marriage, Lydia MV Brooker born Q2 1913 Medway district who is mentioned in his Effects register entry.

There are a number of Brooker possibilities in Kent.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Could this be your man Berry?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8331995

If so this would be his seamans "Pouch"
Records relating to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation documents and notifications of death.

What you really need is his Form CRS10. This will give details of all the ships he served on, with dates and places of Engagement and Discharge. If it has survived it will be in the series BT382.For security reasons, You would need to visit Kew or appoint an independent researcher to look for you.
If you are prepared to do that I will post details later.
Have a day out at Kew and pick up his "Pouch" at the same time.

PS Can you give us the name of your home town in Germany?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
Small progress perhaps.

A Driver Charles Edwin Brooker of the Royal Field Artillery died in France from wounds on 28 March 1918.  His wife was HV Brooker of 8 Cromwell Terrace Chatham (Kent).  CE Brooker married Harriet V Riley Q2 1912 in Medway district (Kent).  There is a child of the marriage, Lydia MV Brooker born Q2 1913 Medway district who is mentioned in his Effects register entry.

There are a number of Brooker possibilities in Kent.

MaxD

Yes, that's the one.  What could be helpful in my search is that the daughter was called "Lydia" and not "Lily" as had been suggested to me.  In that way, I might be able to find her married name [if any] and that might provide another connection.  Thanks for your help.

As for the person who suggested the DNA painter--I have already used that tool but even Ancestry suggested that my new relative could even be a second cousin.  It remains to be seen via genealogical digging and hopefully there will be a breakthrough.  Thank you for your suggestion as this really is a valuable tool.

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
Could this be your man Berry?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8331995

If so this would be his seamans "Pouch"
Records relating to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation documents and notifications of death.

What you really need is his Form CRS10. This will give details of all the ships he served on, with dates and places of Engagement and Discharge. If it has survived it will be in the series BT382.For security reasons, You would need to visit Kew or appoint an independent researcher to look for you.
If you are prepared to do that I will post details later.
Have a day out at Kew and pick up his "Pouch" at the same time.

PS Can you give us the name of your home town in Germany?

Thanks so much for this!  It certainly provides options.  The town where I was born [left for the US in 1952 with family] is Wesel on the Rhine in Westphalia.  It was one of the places targeted in Operation Plunder under FM Montgomery and later became part of the British zone of occupation.

Also, I made an error yesterday in giving the amount of centimorgans I share with my UK cousin.  The correct number is 1,089.

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
There--found the marriage of Lydia Brooker already!

Lydia Brooker
mentioned in the record of Martinson and Lydia Brooker
Name   Lydia Brooker
Event Type   Marriage Registration
Event Place   Hull, Yorkshire, England
Registration District   Hull
County   Yorkshire
Registration Year   1940
Registration Quarter   Jan-Feb-Mar
Name of spouse Horatio Martinson

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
1911 from familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TM-YZ3
no children with John & Louisa

1939 no redacted records.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
1911 from familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TM-YZ3
no children with John & Louisa

1939 no redacted records.

Thank you.  Despite looking on the same [good] site previously, I was not able to find John and Louisa together.  Perhaps I did not search in an early enough year.  But in 1911 Louisa was still young.  I did find a John Robert Richardson in Hull who was born in 1916 but could not locate who his parents were.