Author Topic: Looking For People From Hull  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking For People From Hull
« on: Monday 15 April 19 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm searching for my biological father.  Most of you are too young to qualify, so relax.   :)  I only very recently learned from a newly-found British cousin, that my father probably lived in Kingston upon Hull.   The possible names involved are Brooker, Richardson and Berry.  The man had to have found himself in Wesel, Germany near the end of or right after WWII.  That's where my mother lived and where I was born.  The questions I have even my cousin cannot answer.  Did a John Robert Richardson of Hull have any sons that were born about 1916? Did anyone know Lawrence Berry of Hull and know what branch of the service he was in [if any] during WWII?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For People From Hull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lubana and welcome to Rootschat, we are not allowed to name people who may be living due to privacy rules...you may want to look here at these free sites:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

You can search for living people here:

https://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/home/index

https://www.familysearch.org/en/

Good Luck!

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too Lubana.

Have you considered taking a DNA test, or is that how you found your "cousins"? If you could also test someone from your mother's side of the family, then any matches that you and s/he have in common will obviously come from your mother's branch of the family - others who your match with will be your father's family. It might give you a starting point.  :-\

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:04 BST (UK) »
I doubt there are any living people involved.  I am 72 years old, so I doubt my biological father can still be living.  Yes, I did find my UK cousin through a DNA test.  Of course, my DNA matches to her with enough centimorgans for that relationship.  My much younger sister also tested, has no British ethnicity, has no match with that cousin and does not even match to me with enough centimorgans to be my full sibling.  Now she and I are only half-siblings by that criterion but sisterhood and love are not measured in centimorgans.  Through genealogical research and via comparison with other matches, it has been determined that I am related to my English cousin on her mother's side.  So far, that's all that is known for certain.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Have you scoured the 1901 and 1911 censuses and the 1939 register for likely candidates? Both the names can be found in the Hull area.

There is no way of finding military records for WW2 without much more information than just a name and even then each record has to be applied (and paid) for.

There are service records for the Great War with the name John Robert Richardson but they don't routinely list children and if they did, we don't know what the  name is of the son.

My feeling is unless by some miracle a "lost" family member is reading Rootschat, an approach to the editor of  a local newspaper in the Hull area may be the way to go?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
On FreeBMD there are 12 male Richardsons born in Hull between 1914-1918. What evidence do you have that he came from Hull?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:29 BST (UK) »
From Freebmd:

Surname    First name(s)    Mother    District    Vol    Page
Births Mar 1914   
BROOKER    James C    Brooker    Hull    9d   621    
Births Sep 1917   
Brooker    Edna    Middleton    Hull    9d   403    
Births Dec 1918   
Brooker    Ernest    Middleton    Hull    9d   422    

Carol

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses so far.  I fully appreciate that it is going to be very difficult [if not impossible] to identify my father but, as I only very recently learned of the existence of the cousin, my daughter and I are still actively working on the matter.  There are many problems we already know about that complicate everything.  For example, Mrs. Brooker, a young widow, came to Hull from Kent to live with her sister and brother-in-law, the Richardsons.  Her husband, Charles Brooker, had died as a result of his participation in WWI.  But it is not known if Charles Brooker was originally from Hull and related to the many Brookers of Hull--or if he was from Kent.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:42 BST (UK) »
Did Charles Brooker die in the war or afterwards?  Do you know the forename of Mrs Brooker?  Approximately when did she join the Richardsons in Hull?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia