Author Topic: Mass Observation Diary 12/5/2019  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Observation Diary 12/5/2019
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Nearly there...….
Hopefully I can ignore all the electioneering for the day!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 May 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
Must check out exactly what I've to do for it.... forgotten!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 May 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
OOh that sound interesting. I hadn't heard of it before; Will definitely send a day diary.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 May 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Diary Day!
Pen and paper at the ready for jotting down things as they happen.
Bright and sunny if a bit nippy but at least yesterday's cold wind has gone.
Also, it is Mother's Day here.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
Bright and sunny in Brum. Diary day (my third), it's also my sisters birthday and we're going to a 1940`s event with our cousin.
It will be a bittersweet birthday because we lost our dad 12 March, two months already.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, Diary Day has arrived again!  It will also be my third time when I write up my entry tomorrow.  It is also beautifully sunny on Tyneside but cold.  I am in Newcastle en route home from nightshift as I write. 

That 40's event sounds good - wish I could go.

I went to a Local History event yesterday on way home.  It was really good - some stall holders were in costume and I got to chat with some other RootsChatters and others. 

I hope you enjoy your sister's birthday celebration Bearnan bittersweet as this will be - sorry to hear of your bereavement. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 May 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
   I am about half way through mine - I have done rather too much computer work for one evening. Will finish it tomorrow. Lovely sunny day in East Kent as well, but chilly wind - the same one that has been cooling Tyneside down!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Well, I have just sent my diary entry off for another year!  I just sent mine by email as this was the easiest way for me.  If anyone else is planning to send a diary entry in - don't forget to add their consent statement at the end  of your entry otherwise they won't be able to use it.

"I donate my 12th May diary to the Mass Observation Archive.  I consent to it being made publicly available as part of the Archive and assign my copyright in the diary to the Mass Observation Archives Trustees so that it can be reproduced in full or in part on websites, in publications and in broadcasts as approved  by the Mass Observation Trustees.  I agree to the Mass Observation Archive assuming the role of Data Controller and the Archive will be responsible for the collection and processing of personal data and ensuring that such data complies with the DPA."

I have just had an automatic email back from them saying I will be hearing from them within 10 days.

I am just reading a very interesting book at the moment which was written by a war time mass observation writer.  It is called 'The View From the Corner Shop: The Diary of a Yorkshire Shop Assistant in Wartime.'  It is a very interesting read.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LNQaCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+view+from+the+corner+shop&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZudiOqJjiAhUQ8hoKHRRoDOQQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=the%20view%20from%20the%20corner%20shop&f=false

Josey, if you haven't heard of Mass Observation before I would recommend watching a drama called 'Housewife, 49' if you ever get the chance.  The actress Victoria Wood was truly brilliant in her portrayal of another Mass Observation diarist called Nella Last.  Nella Last's diary entries also make fascinating reading if you get the chance to read these.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-457077/The-true-story-Housewife-49.html
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 May 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
   There is also a book called "Our hidden lives" covering the post war years 1945-48, taken from several Mass Observation diaries. I found it quite gripping in it's portrayal of some of the attitudes we don't hear about!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire