Author Topic: One left to find  (Read 1384 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One left to find
« on: Monday 15 April 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
I keep niggling at this and I am so-o-o frustrated!

I am looking for Fanny (probably Frances, as this is a family name) Craven, daughter of George Craven and Mary Horner.
Siblings are (dobs given):
Charlotte 1773
Mary 1774
John 1776
Betsy (Elizabeth) 1783
George 1786
Nancy (Ann) 1788
Hannah 1792
Susanna 1795

These siblings are all accounted for, including marriages, deaths, etc. - just so you don't go checking on those too!  The most likely birth date would be between John and Betsy I would think, given the gap.  There is a record, apparently from FindMyPast, of a Frances Craven (formerly of Wakefield) dying in Lincolnshire at the age of 44, in 1879.  However, a letter from George's son to John's daughter, written in 1873, states that "Fanny, died in Jamaica, left no family", so that is not her.  This would suggest she probably married, though.  Given that we have records of Bs, Ms and Ds, plus children, etc. of all the others, it seems strange that I cannot find a birth record for Fanny, nor a marriage record. 

Any suggestions please?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One left to find
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Can we assume that you have not found Frances/Fanny on any of the census returns?

AND, where were the siblings baptised?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
There's a death notice in the Hull Advertiser & Exchange Gazette 7th Feb 1840
"On Monday, the 3rd inst., aged 62, Fanny Craven, spinster, many years with Mr William Wales, licensed victualler, of this place"
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Frances Craven 2nd August 1779 St George Doncaster father George
ETA the BTs state George is a cabinet maker Images of the parish register & BT available
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that Fanny is another sibling and not a more distant relative or even just a family friend?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
Sadly I cannot find any others from your list, I have searched the OPR on Ancestry but apart from a few minor date changes more or less what you have, I did scan the in between years to no avail, I did note there were quite a number of Craven baptisms in Wakefield, probably relatives of George.

Baptisms  All Saints,Wakefield,York  George &  Mary

Charlotte Craven16 Jan 1773
Mary 27 Feb 1775? Did not show on search but found record.
John Cravin 22 Feb 1777
John Craven 17 Jan 1778
Joseph Craven 24 Aug 1780
Mary Craven 17 Feb 1783
Elizabeth Craven 2 Aug 1783
George Craven 26 Dec 1785
William Craven 14 Mar 1786
Thomas Craven 22 Jan 1788 Burial 5 Apr 1788
Ann Craven 8 Sep 1788
Joseph Craven 13 Jun 1791 Burial 4 Nov 1791
Ann Craven 24 Oct 1792
Susannah Craven 4 Apr 1795

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Chatters.  I really DID try this time to put all the information into my post - and did explain that I had (more or less) chapter and verse on the other siblings. This was to stop people spending time on research already carried out.  The family is exactly as stated above, set out in the letter which said that Fanny "died in JAMAICA, left no family".  This suggests to me that she was married at some time or another.  I have looked at censuses but when the first one (1841) is published, she could have been 60 and thus probably married and/or dead. The parish for the family, along with many relatives (and your post, ColC, names several of them among this 'nuclear family'), is All Saints, Wakefield.  Only after marriage did most of them 'migrate' to other counties or parts of Yorkshire.  As I said, it just seemed strange that the whole family and branches thereof should be in parish records, and yet Fanny/Frances seems to have been missed out.  I wondered if perhaps she, or her mum, had been very sick following the birth and thus had not been baptised, but several members of the same extended family were often baptised together when they were children of up to 6 or 7 y.o.  I shall keep digging, but please don't neglect your own stuff to do this!  I'll let you know if I find anything. ???
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 20:00 BST (UK) »

The family is exactly as stated above, set out in the letter which said that Fanny "died in JAMAICA, left no family".  This suggests to me that she was married at some time or another. 

But did the letter specify that Fanny was another sibling -- or could she be another sort of relative?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
The letter referred to above (from George's son to John's daughter, obviously following a request for information) is as follows:

"...
My Grandfather (I am the fourth son of George Craven of Birkenhead formerly of Wakefield, your father’s brother) had
Charlotte, died two months ago
Fanny died in Jamaica, left no family
Bessy died at Wakefield, leaving four children all married with children
John (your father)
Mary, died young single
George at Birkenhead, 5 sons and 2 daughters living
Nancy, dead 15 years since, leaving 10 children all married all [with] children but two
Hannah Mirfin (a widow) at Oulton has six children, five married with children
Susanna Wormald at Flanshaw, nr Wakefield has four children, one married.
…"

Thus we know that Fanny/Frances is part of this family.  From this information, and from details I had already found, is where I got the dobs, etc.  The others given in ColC's post are cousins.  I have tried looking for emigration to no avail; if she was already married, it would be impossible unless I knew her married name.  There does not seem to be a plethora of information on BMDs in Jamaica!

Frances had written to one of her aunts to find out such information about her family and to tell them of the death of her father some 6 years earlier.  John, her father, has a long story and a very varied and courageous history, but suffice to say it's too involved to go into here.  However, he left Wakefield sometime around 1795-1804 (when he married and lived in Alnwick).  Obviously, he had more or less lost touch with his family.  I think Frances was about to emigrate to Australia and needed for whatever personal reasons to get information and thus wrote the letter of enquiry.

Don't worry too much about this one, Chatters!  It was just another fishing expedition in case someone could stumble over something that I can't (I can't afford to subscribe to all the genealogical sites!).  Thank you all for your efforts anyway; as always, you all go the extra mile. :)
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee