Author Topic: Italian immigrants 1880's  (Read 1395 times)

Offline badowell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian immigrants 1880's
« on: Monday 15 April 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Can anyone help me with a Bath Somerset lookup please ?
I am currently researching my Italian heritage ( Challenging at best ). I need some help to find the birth record of Luigi/Louis Mattiucci who was born in bath Somerset around 1880. He is the first of Raphaele and Annunciata Mattiucci's children to be born in England. I have their next child Angela (b) 1882 in Plymouth but I can't find any trace of any of them on the 1881 census or a birth record for Luigi/Louis. On the 1891. 1901 and 1911 census' Louis/Luigi states his birth place as Bath Somerset.
I'd be so grateful for any help with this. It's a real challenge of detection as they Anglicized their names in the subsequent Census'. I suspect they were illegal immigrants at this stage as I know their previous two children ( Giovanni/John 1872 and Christina 1877 were born in Italy. I can also find no record of them on Ships passenger lists at all. If anyone has experience of having Italian Ancestry and can offer any insights I would be very grateful.
Kind Regards
Barb

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Italian immigrants 1880's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
Found at FreeBMD by using a wildcard - Mat* instead of the full surname:

Mathuccio, Luigi - Sep qtr 1879, Bath, 5c 632

The GRO's own index gives the mother's maiden name as Cerin, and I see they have Angela's mmn as Cerrior. I've no idea what it really was, but allowing for phonetic attempts at spelling a non-British name, it looks similar enough to be a strong possibility.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline badowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi.
That looks very promising. Ive come across so many different connotations of the names, nothing can be ruled out. I believe you're absolutely right. It's always good to have another pair of eyes. Thank you so much. I'm still trying to find them on the 1881 census but this gives me another lead. I will send for the certificate for luigi and see where it leads me. I have Angela's so I will know if it's the right one.
Thanks again
xxxxx

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just in case any one else is looking they appear in Nottingham in 1891 -- as Matthews.

There is a possible birth for
Raffaele  Mattuci  28 Nov 1846 Bisenti,Teramo Italy s of Luigi Mattuci and Sinforosa De Sanetis
The couple married 13 Oct 1834 at Bisenti
Her parents Domenico De Sanetis and Maria Giusppa de Carolis. She was 26
He was 31 son of Massimo and Concetta Friuli

Other children L and Sanf Mattuci-Letizia Maria 19 Sep 1835,Achille 13 Aug 1837,Francessco Paolo  20 Sep 1839 -1.3.1841 ,Filomenia 5 Jan 1842 ,Francessco Paolo 9 Feb 1844,and Tommaso 9 Dec 1849

The nearest I can find in 1881 is a Raphells Marrel   age 24 in Knots Yard Nottingham musician on Ancestry born Italy.Looking at the original his surname doesn't look like Marrel.
There seem to be a family of young 20 somethings

Ciderdrinker

Offline badowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I have all the rest of the info you found. The only thing I'm missing is the 1881 census. I have them in 1882 in Plymouth on Angela's BC living at 31 Summerland place but they aren't there in 1881. Raffaelle was a travelling musician but they didn't arrive in Nottingham until the birth of my GGrandmother in 1891. I know they were still in Plymouth in 1886 because of the birth and death of their son Antonio.
To summarize..... I know luigi was born in 3rdQ of 1879 in Bath ( ive sent for the cert so I will have an address then) I know they were in Plymouth by 20th May 1882.
The family should resemble this.....
Raffaele Mattiucci (b) 1846 Italy
Annunciata (b) c 1851 Italy
Giovanni (b) 25/11/1872 Italy
Cristina (b) 1876/7 Italy
Luigi (b) 1879 bath

They could in theory be anywhere between the two, Bath and Plymouth in 1881.
Thanks again for your efforts.