Author Topic: Ballinasloe Asylum, Galway and Influenza deaths during 1918-1920 flu pandemic.  (Read 927 times)

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a relative who died in Ballinasloe Asylum in December 1918. He and 7 other people on the death register page died of influenza - a total of 8 out of ten on just one page and all within 5 days. I know Ballinasloe was a mental asylum but was it used also as an 'influenza hospital' during the global flu pandemic of 1918 to 1920 ? Somewhat related, given fears of infection - does anybody know what happened regarding burials ? Thank you.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinasloe Asylum, Galway and Influenza deaths during 1918-1920 flu pandemic.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
I can't see anything in the newspapers to indicate it was used as a influenza hospital but a report of a strike by 180 attendants in Nov 1918 gives the number of inmates as 1500 so once flu got into the asylum you would expect quite a lot of deaths with such a large number of people.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinasloe Asylum, Galway and Influenza deaths during 1918-1920 flu pandemic.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sinaan. Thank you for your swift comment. Having done a brief bit of research about Ballinasloe, it sounds like somewhere people did not want to go to if they could help it. There is no family knowledge of committal but I suspect people were less comfortable talking about mental health issues in the past. ATB.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.