Author Topic: How to pronounce Cavan  (Read 5905 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to pronounce Cavan
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 April 19 08:44 BST (UK) »

So many variations ....  may I please ask if the locals ever pronounce it as per the triangle next to
An Cabhán rather than the triangle next to Cavan?

Generally people don't mix languages, I think that's the basic rule internationally. Cavan when speaking English, An Cabhán when speaking Irish.

I think you're right, Sinann.
Think of English and French ways of saying Paris.
English & German for Cologne.
English & Dutch for The Hague/Den Haag.
etc ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 April 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
The English mangled names wherever they went.

I sometimes wonder whether those who went to the colonies were hard of hearing, or whether they just couldn't spell.  I puzzled over "Currachee" in old letters, until it dawned on me that it's Karachi.

I've even heard residents of Ballymena pronounce the Bráid river as if it were the English word braid (or brayed): brad would be closer.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline MrsL87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 April 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I'm living in Cavan Town, It's pronounced like Gavin but with a C :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 April 21 05:37 BST (UK) »
Generally people don't mix languages, I think that's the basic rule internationally. Cavan when speaking English, An Cabhán when speaking Irish.

Maybe they don't mix languages but I can assure you, people can come up with so many variations of words/names just by their own dialect...

Here's an example most of us should understand...

Mayonnaise i.e. Mayo...

Us Scots would say May-o but I've heard it pronounced as My-o i.e. dialect & accent do play a part.

This is the most common reason our ancestors names seemed to change dramatically after leaving Scotland for the 'New World'...

MacInnes becoming McGuinness, probably because the North Americans thought that was how it should have been spelled according to their own accents/dialect  ::)

Another example is of the surname MacEachen, it somehow managed to be distorted to become MacEacheRn...cringe...I can abide anything except an 'R' out of nowhere  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"