Author Topic: Help reading document - dated 1708  (Read 2344 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading document - dated 1708
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 April 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Goldie, while I take your point about the word signed written above each persons entry in the list at the bottom, I believe that only Edward Camp has actually signed in his own hand.

Their marks are:

Sarah Duke:  a reversed crescent moon
Francis Madell:  a large letter f  (He probably can write but hasn't done so here.)
Sarah Madell:  a reversed 3
Margaret Duke:  a letter m  (She also probably can write a bit.)
Ellianor Duke:  a curly mark somewhat like an E lying on its back
Elizabeth Camp:  a rough E

I had started to write at the end of my last post 'I am a little concerned that many of the signatures look to be written in a very similar, if not the same, hand' - but then erased it and thought I wouldn't. It looked as though the scribe had written most the 'signatures'.
But I do agree. It would be very unlikely all those people, especially the women, could sign their names.

I wonder why the scribe wrote 'signed' instead of 'makes their mark'?
Perhaps in their eyes that was the same thing.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 April 19 09:57 BST (UK) »

24. for diverse other good causes and considerac(i)ons them hereunto especially moveing Hav(e) & every one of them Hath remised & released for ever quitt claymed and by these p(re)sents Doe and every of

25. them Doth remise release and forever quitt claymed unto the said John Duke (in his actuall & peaceable pos(sessi)on now being) and to his heires and Assignes forever All and all manner of provisoe and

26. provisoes Condic(i)on and Condic(i)ons Entryes recoveryes forfeitures right title Estate interest property Clayme and Demand whatsoever in Law or Equity of them the said Sarah Duke Edward Campe

27. and Elizabeth his wife Margaret Duke Ellianor Duke and Francis Madell and Sarah his wife or any or either of them or any or either of their heires Executors or Administrators

28. of in to or out of the said parcell of Meadow ground herein before menc(i)oned  or any parte thereof by force and vertue of the said last Will and Testam(en)t of the said Henry Duke or otherwise

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 April 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
29. howsoever Soe that neither they or any of them their heires Executors or Administrators or any other person or p(er)sons for him her or their or in his her or their right or names shall

30. or may att any time or times hereafter have or p(re)tend to have clayme challenge or demand any estate right title or interest in or to the said parcell of the Meadow or any parte thereof but of

31. and from all and every Acc(i)on right estate title interest or demand of in or to the said parcell of Meadow and every parte thereof they and every of them shall be utterly excluded and barred for ever

32. by these presents In Wittnesse whereof the said Sarah Duke Edward Campe and Elizabeth his wife Margaret Duke Ellianor Duke and Francis Madell and Sarah his wife have hereunto

33. sett their hands and seals this eight day of Aprill In the Seaventh Yeare of the Reign of our Soveraigne Lady Ann by the grace of God of great Brittaine France and Ireland Queen

Clip 3
Defender of the faith etc Annoq dui 1708

Sorry HD. Hate to leave things half done come the end of the day!

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 April 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder why the scribe wrote 'signed' instead of 'makes their mark'?
Perhaps in their eyes that was the same thing.

This document would have been prepared by a professional legal clerk and was probably signed in a lawyers' chambers.  It may just reflect that professional environment.

It appears that in the eyes of the law there was no difference.

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Horsleydown and Goldie,

Thank you so much for translating and interpreting this document. Words cannot express my appreciation. There's no way I could have done this without your help.

Daniel

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
On closer examination of what you've both transcribed...

The three roods of Meadows - I looked up this word and it is an obsolete unit of British measurement according to Wikipedia: "A rood is a...unit of linear measure between 16 1⁄2 and 24 feet (5.0–7.3 m). It is related to the German Rute and the Danish rode.[4][5] The original OED of 1914 said this sense was "now only in local use, and varying from 6 to 8 yards" (or 18 to 24 ft, "Rood", II.7).

A rood is equal to one quarter of an acre so three roods is 0.75 acres of "Meadows".

The document describes this as a common meadow called Melfanns.

It seems that in his lifetime, Henry Duke owned quite a bit of property.

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 April 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
I thought this was an interesting find.

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/All_Results.aspx?intSearchType=12

Looks like John Duke sold the three roods of Meadow to John Gibson of London for 25 pounds.

Level: Fonds
    DEEDS OF ESTATES OF ROYAL WANSTEAD SCHOOL
Level: Series
    Deeds of property in Little Hallingbury and Sheening and Sawbridgeworth and Pishobiury, Hertfordshire
Scope and Content:
    Conveyance (Lease and Release) for £25, and Bond John Duke of Sheering, yeo., s. and h. of Henry Duke of Sheering, yeo., decd., to John Gibson of London, citizen and baker
    Parcel of meadow ground (3r.) in Millfanns, Sawbeidgeworth, co. Herts, abutting S. upon land late of Henry Carter, now of George Payne, N. upon land late of William Burton, now of Baronet Tisley, mother upon land of Sir Robert Jocelyn, W. upon land of Ralph Curtis
Dates of Creation:
    22, 23 April 1708