Author Topic: Burial of Elizabeth Gell, Wirksworth, Derbsyhire, 1639  (Read 418 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of Elizabeth Gell, Wirksworth, Derbsyhire, 1639
« on: Wednesday 17 April 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I was hoping that somebody might be able to decipher the burial record for Elizabeth Gell in the attached snippet from the Wirksworth parish register. The burial record is dated 26 January 1639 and I am wondering whether it says "wife of" or "widow of" Thomas Gell? I think it might be in Latin.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Elizabeth Gell, Wirksworth, Derbsyhire, 1639
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
It's uxor - Latin for wife. (Widow would be vidua.)

EDIT:
The transcription on the following page agrees with this:
http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/PR037.htm#804

Note that they give the year as 1640, and you have it as 1639. I suspect your date will be as the register shows it, and the transcript has converted it to New Style, but you could check this by looking for the new year on 26 March to see what is written.

To avoid ambiguity it's best to use a double year for dates between 1 Jan and 25 Mar, such as 1639/40.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Elizabeth Gell, Wirksworth, Derbsyhire, 1639
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arthur, much appreciated. You're right, the date in the parish register is in Old Style. Thanks for providing the link to the parish register register transcripts too.