Author Topic: Will from 1808  (Read 918 times)

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Will from 1808
« on: Wednesday 17 April 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, Wills are something I know very little about and have decided to look into these a bit more. I've done a search of the boards to try and find the answer to my question  but can't see the wood for the trees!

I found the will of my x5 great grandfather, Joseph Summerland, who died in Uttoxeter, Staffs in 1808, on Ancestry. I followed the link to the National archives and paid £3.50 to download but I'm a bit disappointed on the lack of information. Is it because it says 'abstract' of will?

There must be a more in depth will out there as someone has typed it up on a website online, which mentions his properties etc.  Where can I find the full will? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Helen x

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will from 1808
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
You can find the original images of the will on Find My Past.  Staffordshire, Dioceses of Lichfield and Coventry wills and probate 1521-1860.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Girl Guide :) I shall have a look when I next take out a subscription.  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
What you've found is an item from what are popularly called the Death Duty Registers (IR26). They can actually be very useful in finding the names of people whom a will might just call "my children", or sometimes in giving addresses or occupations of legatees where you don't have them from any other source.

In this case the will itself will be at Staffordshire Record Office, but as with a lot of Staffordshire wills, it can be viewed at FindMyPast (as Girl Guide says).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Arthurk.  It's all starting to make a bit more sense to me now  :)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
The will on FindMyPast has 5 pages and a 1-page codicil. There were many amendments, and there is a separate list of explanations for these - 2 pages!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Andrewalston. I look forward to viewing the pages!  :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
I shall have a look when I next take out a subscription.  :)

If you don't have a subscription, (or want to buy one just for this), many libraries offer free access to findmypast.
You don't say where in the world you are, but even ones on the other side of the world do this!
Worth an ask.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi goldie61, I'm in Staffordshire. I shall ask at my local library. Thanks for the tip  :)