Author Topic: Administration of Thomas Gell died 1639/1640 Hopton Derbyshire  (Read 1015 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Administration of Thomas Gell died 1639/1640 Hopton Derbyshire
« on: Wednesday 17 April 19 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I was wondering whether a Latin reader can decipher this section of text at the bottom of an administration record for Thomas Gell of Hopton who was buried on 16 March 1639/1640. I can read the name "Elizabeth Gell" but not much else! Thank you in advance.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Administration of Thomas Gell died 1639/1640 Hopton Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 19 05:45 BST (UK) »
I need to begin by saying I'm not an expert on Latin and some parts aren't clear to me.

This document could be very useful to your research, so please wait until someone better (ideally this would be Bookbox) has seen the text before inking anything into your history.

This is just to give you some pointers until a definitive reading comes along.
**************************************************************************************************************************

The date is 6 April 1640.

It's referring to administration of all and singular the goods rights and credits of the said deceased - presumably this is Thomas Gell.

These go to John Adam of Matlock husbandman.  In the next section I can see the words avo and materna.

I think John Adam is the maternal grandfather of Elizabeth Gell.  The goods etc go to him to the benefit and use of the said Elizabeth during her minor age.

Then there's reference to Henry Smith the Rector of Matlock, John Adam of Matlock in the County of Derby husbandman and Edward Haslam of Harston? in the County of Derby husbandman.

The significance of these names in this last part isn't clear to me.

ADDED:

I omitted to say that when Elizabeth Gell is introduced she is identified as the daughter (filie) of the said deceased.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you horselydown86, I note your cautions but that's really interesting. I'm digesting what you've written and will reply in a bit more detail later but it is very helpful.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
HD has the essence of it. Administration was granted to John Adam, the maternal grandfather of Elizabeth Gell (daughter of Thomas Gell) during her minority. However, I can’t identify the word between avo (= grandfather) and materna p(ar)te (= on the mother's side) – I’d have expected it just to be ex, but it looks longer than that?

Then there's reference to Henry Smith the Rector of Matlock, John Adam of Matlock in the County of Derby husbandman and Edward Haslam of Harston? in the County of Derby husbandman.

I think John Adam and Edward Haslam were sworn, by commission, in the presence of Master Henry Smith, the Rector of Matlock.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very helpful confirmation Bookbox, much appreciated.

I am trying to work out who the father was (among a number of Thomas Gells) for the baptism of Anthony Gell son of Thomas Gell on 10 Aug 1617 at Wirksworth. I believe Anthony was an ancestor of mine according to the paper trail. There are a number of secondary sources that point to different conclusions.

Looking at the parish registers, there are a string of children baptised to a Thomas Gell at Wirksworth in this period:

Dorothye 5 Apr 1613
Marye 28 Mar 1615 (she may have married Thomas Nadin at Wirksworth on 9 May 1639)
Anthony (see above)
Ann 21 Nov 1619
Raphe 18 Feb 1620/21 (buried 20 Jan 1625)
Ann 15 May 1625
Sislye 26 Dec 1627
Thomas 14 Oct 1630
Millisent 25 Dec 1634

There are also two children baptised to a Thomas Gell in nearby Carsington towards the end of this period:

Elizabeth 12 Mar 1635/36 (daughter of Thomas Gell of Hopton and [possibly a ditto for Elizabeth - there is a space and a dash] his wife)
(possibly) Millisant 21 Feb 1636/1637 (daughter of Thomas G ... his wife - the rest is obscured by a stain)

I can only assume that the Elizabeth Gell baptised in Carsington in 1635/36 is the child referred to in the administration document as there are no other possible baptisms in this period. The question is whether the Wirksworth children have the same father. I'm not sure of this - it seems a little strange that Elizabeth is the only child mentioned when there were others.

As an aside, there is a marriage of a Thomas Jall and an Elizabeth Smith in Chesterfield on 23 Jul 1609. There is also a burial of an Elizabeth Gell, wife of Thomas Gell, in Wirksworth on 26 Jan 1639/40. Some secondary sources point to Thomas Gell born around 1560 son of John Gell & Agnes Robertson having a wife named Elizabeth.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm finding it quite confusing.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.thepeerage.com/p69294.htm#i692938

The dates here don't fit with your research, but I was interested to see that this Thomas Gell of Hopton married Millicent who was d of Ralph --- names which tie in with some of those you've listed, albeit of different generations - I don't know if this helps, if it muddies the waters or if it is simply a red herring.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)