Author Topic: Matching medal index card to individual  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matching medal index card to individual
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 April 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
Excellent find, thank you!

I put his name and service number into Google and came up with a spreadsheet of Manchester Regiment POWs that someone very kindly has put together from the POW records.

Unfortunately the spreadsheet includes this man and gives his address as: 377 Collyhurst Rd, Manchester which is some way off from where I would expect him to live and more conclusively gives the DoB as 1892 (my ancestor was 1886). So unfortunately it's not him.

Thanks for finding the POW record though, that has ruled out one other possibility.

I have been having a look at the regiments of those that are listed as having joined up in the book and they are very diverse ranging from the Service Corps, RAMC, the Seaforth Highlanders and of course the Manchester Regiment. So unfortunately I can't rule out the more distant regiments.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 April 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
jonw65 - good spot indeed.  With the POW spreadsheet my suggestion certainly eliminated.

MaxD.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 April 19 03:01 BST (UK) »
For the remaining ones it might be worth trying to cross-check with the available details on the Pension Ledgers & Index Cards.

I did a very quick search and Charles Dillon 31662 RAMC comes up as 'North West'.  Unfortunately the full image is only available on Fold3, which is a separate subscription.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.