Author Topic: Dating photo by James Burnside, Guernsey St Peter Port  (Read 1362 times)

Offline JohnThew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating photo by James Burnside, Guernsey St Peter Port
« on: Thursday 18 April 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Found in a family collection, I'm hoping this is William Thew (1809-1888) and his wife Elizabeth Robinson (1809-1876).

Clues:
The photographer is James Burnside, of St Peter Port, Guernsey (whose son prevented Queen Victoria being assassinated - but that's another story!)

William and his son John Thew (1843-1898) were both Gunners in the Royal Artillery. William left the army in 1846 and that's too early for the photo anyway. John was garrisoned on the Channel Islands between 1862 and 1865 and married Ellen Steward (born Guernsey) on Jersey on 2 July 1864, while still serving. Their first daughter was born 18 June 1865 in Portsmouth. As was their second daughter in 1867. John was then stationed in India for a few years and returned to Guernsey in 1879. But his mother had died in 1876.

Therefore, if it is William and Elizabeth, I think it's most likely the photo was taken in 1864, while they visited the Islands for their son's wedding.

Does that look right for the type of photo? And their clothing?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photo by James Burnside, Guernsey St Peter Port
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
It looks like 1860s I would say.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 06:20 BST (UK) »
Carol - reckon you are about right with the dating. 

Hope the OP comes back to see your estimation.

John,  you didn't ask for any restoration so I hope you don't mind.   ;)

Not a good scan to work with and I started to make things worse so stopped.  A little clearer maybe - I hope so anyway.

I am wondering if the couple aren't as old as first thought and if the woman might be pregnant.    Could they be a younger couple or father and daughter maybe??  Just a thought.

Wiggy    :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline JohnThew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol and Wiggy.

It's possible the photo is my great-grandfather (John Thew)'s first wife Ellen Steward (they married on Jersey 2 July 1864) and her father, taken before the army moved Ellen and John from the Channel Islands to Portsmouth. Their first daughter was born in Portsmouth 18 Jun 1865. Therefore, if Wiggy's "pregnant daughter with father" theory is correct, the photo would date to early 1865. That fits with the fashion, but I'm being told a black card cabinet photo is typically 1875 onwards.

Thanks also for the photo enhancement. I had to compress to below 500KB to post it. I'm new to RootsChat. Is there a way to share the 6.4MB scan?

All the best,

John

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 19 12:30 BST (UK) »
I had to compress to below 500KB to post it. I'm new to RootsChat. Is there a way to share the 6.4MB scan?

Not on the board there isn't!

Not sure about the pregnant woman - see what others think.   :-\    But I do think she looks younger when you can see her properly.  You seem to have a scenario which might fit.
 The dates would fit with what Carol suggests.  (I don't know if the photo could have been put onto black backing later - I don't know about these things. - wait for Jim or Carol or some of the other dating people.)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just adding my penn'orth as Wiggy has drawn my attention to this.

If the photo is mid-1860s, William and Elizabeth would be 55-ish and John would be 22-ish.  The man looks to be in his 40s-maybe 50s.

On balance, I'd say it's the older couple. The possible look of pregnancy could be the result of many children or of ,maybe, a symptom of cancer. I have a 1920s pic of my great grandmother  with an enlarged stomach like that. She had had 13 children and suffered from cancer of uterus with abdominal spread for a good many years before she died in 1930 .

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike Deane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 23 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I am from Guernsey and I have just come across your query.  I am currently putting together a gallery on my website www.deanephotos.com for James Burnside.

In answer to your question about the Cabinet card image. He started his studio in 1886 and ended about 1894. I believe the image you have is much older than that and looks like a copy of an old image which he would have copied on the clients instructions.

I am intrigued about James's son saving Queen Victoria - can you enlighten me, as I would love to include it on the website when I finish his Gallery.

Thank you in anticipation.

Mike 

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I am from a Guernsey family and my wife's maiden name was Thew so I am intrigued to know if there is some relationship as it is quite an unusual name.  Can you tell me where John Thew's family originated?