Author Topic: Wilfred Henry Cope (1905-1996) Born Ipstones  (Read 600 times)

Offline MPlant-Staffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wilfred Henry Cope (1905-1996) Born Ipstones
« on: Thursday 18 April 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm doing a little bit of research on Wilfred (known as Wilf) on behalf of a colleague. If anyone has a connection to him could you please send me a message?

Here's some background for those who have clicked on the thread and are curious :)

Wilfred was born at Ipstones in 1905, his father Henry was an electrician and moved the family around quite a lot. They were in Yorkshire when Wilf's brother Charles was born in 1907 (Henry himself had been born in Bradford) and appear there on the 1911 census.

Information I've received from someone who knew Wilf later in live, has the family living in Glasgow for a time as well as Beverley in Yorkshire. Wilf was an avid chess player and is believed to have been a member of the Beverley Chess Club.

By the time of the 1939 register Wilfred and his brother Charles are back in Staffordshire, around Cheddleton which is where Wilf lived in the 1950s. Later Wilf moved to Kingsley which is where he passed away in 1996. His brother seems to have had a family, but died young - his family may have settled in Leek.

If any of that rings a bell, let me know.

Regards,
Mike
Plant (Staffordshire)
Newton (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, London)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilfred Henry Cope (1905-1996) Born Ipstones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 19 08:39 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Surname interests, to see if anyone is researching the family? Otherwise be prepared to sit and wait for someone to come along.
Also, look in ancestry trees, and other websites with trees in them?
Any further information from his will?

Offline MPlant-Staffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilfred Henry Cope (1905-1996) Born Ipstones
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks the the tips :)

I've contacted a few people via Ancestry who have relevant people on their public trees - one person has details of his nephew for example.

Since my OP I've realised that the Cope family of Ipstones, are as numerous as my own in Cheadle! My research is more focused on Wilf himself, rather than the extended family - although I have gathered a reasonable amount of information if its needed!

I've had incredible luck on the forum before, so my fingers are crossed!

Plant (Staffordshire)
Newton (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, London)