Author Topic: Did my great-grandparents ever marry?  (Read 3123 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did my great-grandparents ever marry?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 April 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Do you not have her birth certificate?

I was thinking this was her from your information

Jane Adamson  March quarter 1860 Durham 10a pg 261
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 April 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
Some of the family thinks so but we are split. What we want to know is if Jane Adamson from Tudhoe is the one with George Leggett in Hartlepool in the 1890s.  The birth certificate will only show that a Jane Adamson was born in Tudhoe, and possibly name her parents.

Martin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 April 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
Have you or the other family checked the possible Janes in the censuses?
You know yours was married to Henry Thomson for definite.
Your choices, if any, are limited.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, we have extensively looked into other Jane Adamsons, most of whom are in North Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland and can effectively rule them all out, but that doesn't mean the same as ruling in the one that we think is our ancestor. I just keep hoping somebody will come up with an idea that we have overlooked.

Martin

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 April 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, we have extensively looked into other Jane Adamsons, most of whom are in North Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland and can effectively rule them all out, but that doesn't mean the same as ruling in the one that we think is our ancestor. I just keep hoping somebody will come up with an idea that we have overlooked.

Martin

Martin,
this might be something of a long shot and time consuming, but it might be something to try if you haven't already done it . . .

Work back a few more generations on Jane Adamson from Tudhoe if you can, then try those names in a search (using the further back generations) and see if they lead to any trees or (best case) a dna match.
If you find further back generations on a tree, it might be that it's a tree that just goes down one line rather than horizontally (including siblings at each stage, which could include a branch which could be your line).

I'm thinking you might need to go back quite a distance on the possible Jane line (probably to your 4GG at least) and then you could possibly get some lower shared cMs matches.
Alternatively any siblings to Jane, can these be found on trees and possibly lead to dna matches?

My thinking is that if you find a dna match to someone who has the same ancestors as Jane, then (ruling out any connections to another side of your family) a dna match would surely indicate that she is 'Your' Jane.

hope this might be a way forward (or back through the generations),
Lisa

PS sorry I am assuming your results are on ancestry or you use ancestry, which I don't know if you do.  If you do, have you tried doing a search on dna matches with Jane's maiden name (or her ancestors) or the birthplace and see what comes up?

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Lisa, thank you for your suggestions. I'm always grateful for ideas, whether or not I've tried them as technology and data can often change. My DNA test was done by my heritage, so I don't have the luxury of the facilities which ancestry have currently added. I've spent a lot of time tracking back both the Leggett family and the Adamson family or in fact as many Adamsons as I've been able to find in the Northeast. I can't find anything to make me think that the Hartlepool Adamson, who is my great grandmother, is different to the one from Tudhoe, but I want a positive connection rather than ruling out negative connections. Thank you again for your comments.

And thanks also to you, Heywood.

Martin