Author Topic: 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) Regt.  (Read 404 times)

Online Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) Regt.
« on: Thursday 18 April 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to obtain the attestion papers for Jas. Marigold of 11th Hussars.
James was born in Shenstone, Staffordhsire in 1819.

I have an incident date of 1/1/1841 for him. His service number being 1057. Duty Location was Hounslow. Archive Ref. WO 12/1005.
Another incident date of 1/1/1851; Duty Location Norwich. Archive Ref. WO 12/1009.

In 1841 census he is at the Kensington Cavalry Barracks. And in 1851 census he is the Cavalry Barracks, Norfolk City, Norwich.

I have tried to access information from the GRO website but have had no luck. So am seeking extra help to obtain his records.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) Regt.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 19 20:38 BST (UK) »
Attestation records for that period are rarer than hen's teeth.  The "incidents"  you refer to are his appearances in the censuses of those years.  There are two more appearances in the records of courts martial, one in 1846 and another in 1847.  These are in the National Archives document WO 86/5 and on the Fold3 element of Ancestry.

The only sure way of tracking a man in that period is to trawl (at Kew) the regiment's muster rolls.  This is a matter of using the known points of 1841 and  1851 and working backwards from the former until his first appearance in the roll and then going forward from 1851 until he leaves.  This will give you his service dates but little else.  The 1851 census says he is married, the 1841 does not have marital status.  There is a Q1 1851 marriage in Ipswich which may fit (he was stationed in East Anglia).

GRO do not have any military information and what you have and the additional info above I suggest is all there is.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
The marriage would have been to Elis. Hubbard on 4th Feb. 1851 Ipswich, St Matthews.  Just received the cert. from GRO.
Two witnesses were Robert Poynter (another solider) and John Anderson (solider); obviously two mates.

East Anglia? 

Online Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, Norwich - Norfolk (East Anglia)