Author Topic: ancestry.co.uk - free access to records over Easter.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry.co.uk - free access to records over Easter.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Ancestry only have transcripts of Scottish Records no images, something they are very careful to downplay in their publicity.
The only place to find images is on Scotlands People and I gather they are rather parsimonious in the views of 1939 Register they supply, restricting them to individual entries.

The transcripts they have of Scottish records are shockingly bad.  All deaths in Dalry, Ayrshire have been attributed to Edinburgh on the opposite side of the country.  Complaints fall on deaf ears.

The Scottish 1939 register isn't available on either commercial entity who hold the English and Welsh 1939.  You have to apply to access individual 1939 records for Scotland.  I have my fingers crossed that one day it will be available on SP.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
On Anc the transcripts of many parish registers (leading to images) are also shockingly bad. Just a first name in the indexes yet the original has a full name, also Baptiste as a surname when it means "Baptised".
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:00 BST (UK) »

The Scottish 1939 register isn't available on either commercial entity who hold the English and Welsh 1939.  You have to apply to access individual 1939 records for Scotland.  I have my fingers crossed that one day it will be available on SP.
I wrote to them last year and asked if they had any plans to make the '39 Register available.

It seems they have an "Urgent" list of things to do and a "Pending" list. Things could move up the list if time and more importantly money were available. And of course if more urgent things do not crop up. The '39 Register is not even on the pending list. The person who answered my query seemed genuinely surprised that anyone would want to know what was on it! 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 08:12 BST (UK) »

I wrote to them last year and asked if they had any plans to make the '39 Register available.

It seems they have an "Urgent" list of things to do and a "Pending" list. Things could move up the list if time and more importantly money were available. And of course if more urgent things do not crop up. The '39 Register is not even on the pending list. The person who answered my query seemed genuinely surprised that anyone would want to know what was on it! 

Regards 

Chas

Wonder if more of us did what you did then it may creep onto at least the pending list.  I mean I have known people to be surprised that anyone would want to view old parish registers or Census returns.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 08:27 BST (UK) »
Are you allowed to have a thread of names on RootsChat? Perhaps if 100 people signed to say they'd like access and a link could be sent to SP - although rules here might not allow it.

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
I should think you could start a petition on something like change.org and post a link to that on here.  Other people have done so in support of various good causes, but I'd suggest checking with Sarah or Trystan first.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
I do not know how it should be done for the best, but I know regardless, that it should be done. 

There has been a great deal of talk recently about the "will of the people", well how are Scotland's People to know what we want unless we tell them? 

I am all in favour of a poll, or survey, or what ever is decided is most effective. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
On Anc the transcripts of many parish registers (leading to images) are also shockingly bad. Just a first name in the indexes yet the original has a full name, also Baptiste as a surname when it means "Baptised".

And all those burials transcribed with the surname "Daughter"? (I don't think so)!
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
One thing I can say is about SP in comparison to ancestry is that they are better at dealing with issues.  I had an image that was completely unreadable, raised an issue and had the new image e-mailed to me within a fortnight.  On the other hand Ancestry bend over backwards to find a way to blame the user for any issues.