Author Topic: Parents and family of Elizabeth Broughton baptised 8 Aug 1770 Norwich, Norfolk  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me please, I have a brick wall and don't seem to be able to progress. I am trying to find the correct parents and any siblings for this person. This is what I know

Elizabeth Broughton baptised 8 Aug 1770 in Norwich to a William Broughton an Elizabeth (have been unable to find her maiden name) My Elizabeth then married William Money on 25 Dec 1792 at St Pauls, Norwich

The baptisms for all William Broughton and Elizabeths appearing on Free Reg for around that time are as follows -

Frances Broughton Bap 11 Dec 1763 St Augustine Norwich

William Broughton Bap 20 Aug 1769 St Bartholomew Norwich

William Broughton Bap 2 Sep 1770 St Bartholomew Norwich

William Broughton Bap 8 Dec 1771 St Bartholomew Norwich

William Broughton Bap 24 Nov 1774 St Bartholomew Norwich

Ann Finch Broughton Bap 7 Sep 1777 St Bartholomew Norwich

None of the Free Reg info gives any maiden name for Elizabeth, however, the only marriage appearing on free reg in Norfolk for a William Broughton and Elizabeth around the time, is for an Elizabeth Finch. The date of this marriage 15 Feb 1763 at St Augustine Norwich. This would then fit with the baptism of Ann Finch Broughton being given the middle name Finch. So I certainly think Ann Finch Broughton belongs to THIS marriage. It also fits with the baptism date for Frances Broughton Bap 11 Dec 1763 St Augustine Norwich, after their marriage.

The problem therefore is that MY Elizabeth Broughton was baptised on 8 Aug 1770, but there is also a baptism of a William Broughton on 2 Sep 1770 (in the above list)

I believe that Frances Broughton Bap 11 Dec 1763 St Augustine Norwich is definitely a sibling to my Elizabeth. I have found several DNA matches from her descendants.

I inclined to reject all the other Broughton baptisms as siblings for my Elizabeth Broughton, based on the fact there is a baptism within a month of my Elizabeths, and at a different church.

This would then exclude Finch as the maiden name to my unknown Elizabeth, mother of Elizabeth Broughton. I couldn't find any other marriages that fit. It also was a neat fit because of the date of the Broughton / Finch marriage and the birth of Frances, whom I believe IS a sibling to my Elizabeth Broughton.

One final piece of information, my Elizabeth Broughton baptism states religion as Tabernacle-Countess Of Huntingdons

Is anyone able to help / advise or point me in the right direction please? Any help very much appreciated

Christian
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parents and family of Elizabeth Broughton baptised 8 Aug 1770 Norwich, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Christian,

Like you, I couldn't find a maiden name for any of the baptisms by William and Elizabeth Broughton.

There is an interesting burial record though, of a Sarah Broughton. (FreeReg)
Buried St Mary Coslany, 27 June 1787, daughter of William and Elizabeth. Note in register says "mother - late E. Finch

The only baptism I could find was at St. Augustine, 29 June 1783, Sarah, daughter of William and Elizabeth Broughton

I've looked at the entry for Elizabeth Broughton baptism in the register for Norwich Tabernacle in 1770, but it doesn't give any further information, sadly

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parents and family of Elizabeth Broughton baptised 8 Aug 1770 Norwich, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Yorkslass for taking the time to look at this

So, Sarah Broughton seems to be another daughter of William Broughton and Elizabeth Finch. Interesting that it is a St Augustine baptism again, like Frances baptism in 1763, and like the Broughton - Finch marriage in 1763.

Question still remains, is this my Elizabeth Broughton parents. I’m confused by the William Broughton 1770 baptism which presumably can’t be the same parents as my Elizabeth’s due to date and church, but he seems highly likely to be a Broughton - Finch child don’t you think?

Also, why would my Elizabeth be a tabernacle baptism, and all the others aren’t. It seems like an impossible one to figure out...
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is another Tabernalce Broughton baptism
John s of William and Sarah 29.1.1759.
Could Sarah be a first wife? or perhaps they could be grandparents of Elizabeth Broughton

There is a William Broughton master weaver taking on apprentices 1751 and 1752 in Norwich.

Ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is another Tabernalce Broughton baptism
John s of William and Sarah 29.1.1759.
Could Sarah be a first wife? or perhaps they could be grandparents of Elizabeth Broughton

There is a William Broughton master weaver taking on apprentices 1751 and 1752 in Norwich.

Ciderdrinker

Thank you Ciderdrinker, I hadn’t seen that one. If William Broughtons wife Elizabeth (mother to my Elizabeth Broughton) IS Elizabeth FINCH, then for the marriage of William Broughton and Elizabeth Finch it states both as single, so that would rule out a first wife. But then it might not be Elizabeth Finch.

Does anyone know if there is there a place online I can access wills and probates for the 1700s in Norwich? That might be a place I could get a lead on this? (I regular access this for my Northumberland ancestors, but don’t know the equivalent for Norfolk)

Does anyone have any other ideas whereby I might get a lead?

Thank you

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Found a marriage bond for William Broughton and Sarah Neale, but it doesn't give a great deal of information, other than William lived in Norwich and Sarah in Horningtoft.
(You have to be signed in to Family Search to see the image)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nor/

I'm sure I've read somewhere that most Methodists married in Anglican churches - which doesn't help at all really does it

Like you, Christian, I find it difficult to believe that a couple would have Church of England baptsms for most of their children, and just one in a non-conformist church  ???

Norfolk Record office have a good index of Wills.
I've already looked, but couldn't see anything promising.

Here's a link to the search page for Wills and Administrations
http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/public/searches/nroprobate.htm

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Yorkslass

I have just searched that link you sent for ‘Broughton’ and one of them stood out to me:-

Broughton, William, of Trowse   1711   NCC will register Famm 651

The reason being, apart from it being a William Broughton, was the place Trowse

On MY Elizabeth Broughtons burial record, May 7th 1827, at St Edmunds, Norwich, it states her abode as Trowse.

So, if this date is creation of a will, I guess it could be her grandfather (William Broughton, father of William Broughton). If it’s probate, then great grandfather. Very much speculation, but it might be a useful document for me to look at.

My knowledge of local geography to that area is poor, but I gather Trowse is a small village, or certainly would have been then, so the likelihood that my Elizabeth Broughton, who was definitely living in Trowse when she died, is related to this William Trowse, is fairly high.

Do you know if the document is available online to view, I couldn’t see a link...

Kind regards
Christian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
a FreeReg search for Broughtons in Trowse Newton comes back with only

Wm BRAUGHTON   Burial   4 Mar 1711/12   Norfolk   Trowse Newton : St Andrew : Parish Register

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Many of the Wills on the Norfolk Record Office site are available to view on Family Search, mainly Consistory Court and Archdeaconry of Norwich - but they take some finding!

Found the Will of William Broughton  1711 - again, you need to be signed in to Family Search to view it.

Here you go - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6LJ4-TPT?i=1528&cat=410095

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire