Author Topic: 1914 NonCatholics marriage bans Catholic church  (Read 4127 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 NonCatholics marriage bans Catholic church
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 April 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,  Thanks so much for your comments - and sorry for delay in answering - Easter celebrations!
Have a few questions still.  Maidenstone - Can you tell me how/where you got Donald Stewarts military  records.  I only have a copy of his "Medal Card",  of Find My Past "soldiers died WW1" transcription.  If as you say there could be comments re "religion" - re his widow Johanna receiving pension etc. I would be great to have the records.  In the Aberdeen Express a snippet re his death said he had been with Gordon Highlanders since the age of 14, that he was a "native of Stornoway" and mention of his wife and 6 children ( have names but not details).  Will chase up their birth registrations - and will also check 1911 census.  His military records might answer a question re ??traveller lifestyle if he was actually an active military member for all those years? Dowdstree and Forfarian - thanks also for your input - more work for me to do I think.  It is so easy to make "presumptions", if you don't read the documents closely.  Had misread his "medal" card - thought he hadn't gone to France till 1916, but on closer reading, he went to France on 11/11/2014 -  so ?? two years in France before death?  Would love to see his records if available.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 April 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dowdstree,

Have just revisited the 1911 census for Donald and Johanna.  Had done so unsuccessfully few years ago when last worked on this family.  Re "Donald Stewart - Aberdeen" - 3 obvious age possibilities in Aberdeen (2 in Woodside, 1 in Oyne), wrong wives (Elsie, Mary Queen and Margaret) - and wrong occupations.  Re "Johanna McKay - Lochs" - age 27 - married to John McKay Crofter - only 29 year old in Dunbarton…. duhhhh just thought - should have looked for Johanna under Stewart... off to try again.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 April 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Johanna Stewart 1911 census - found two 23 year olds and a 50 year old in Stornaway  Ross and Cromarty - not too likely - as our Johanna McKay (Stewart) - should be aged 29!!!  Nothing in Lochs. 

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 April 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea when they met? Another thought if either or both were travelling there is a chance that they missed being counted in the 1911 census.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Travelers usually had arranged marriages. A distant cousin or a family friend. I used to come into contact with a few Traveling families before I retired and it was still the norm.
Are you searching for Johanna using that name? she may have used a diminutive like Jo, Hanna or Anna.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
I think you could be right about missing out on the 1911 census Dowdstree -   they had been together for a good few years- had at least 5 possibly 6 children together before 1914.

Lodger - Johanna used her full name all her life - though might just try once more under variations.. doubtful though - as I am not finding either her or Donald - they could have been "on the road".  I never realised that most "traveller families" had arranged marriages.  Learn something new every day. 

Now the only thing left I think is to figure out how to get Donald's military records?  Anyone help me with a link?

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately his Service Records may no longer exist. Around 60% were destroyed during WW2 in enemy bombing on London. It is so sad and frustrating.

You say you have a copy of his Medal Card. Ancestry has a copy of his U.K. Army Registers of Soldiers Effects. This only gives you monies paid out to his widow Johanna.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 April 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Just a thought here. You say there were a number of children born before Donald and Johanna married in 1914. What surname were their births registered under. Also, have you tried searching for any of them in the 1911 Scotland Census?

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 April 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
In the Aberdeen Express a snippet re his death said he had been with Gordon Highlanders since the age of 14, that he was a "native of Stornoway" and mention of his wife and 6 children ( have names but not details). 
Victorian Wars Forum topic Recruitment: minimum age, qualifications etc.  www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?t=1185
has a link to information from National Archives about boy soldiers in post by Maureene Sep 24 2011.
"Enlistment of Boy Soldiers in the British Army 1795-1959"
https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Enlistment_of_Boy_Soldiers_in_the_British_Army_1795-1959
There are posts on RootsChat about boy soldiers.
Cowban