Author Topic: Germany: Vogel Brothers, born c1857-1859  (Read 2342 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Vogel Brothers, born c1857-1859
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 April 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
But when the Vogels lived in Atzenbach, it was still an independant village ... !

It is interesting that the film is for Atzenbach but that the baptisms were supposedly in Zell im Wiesental. It is possible that FS had used pre-defined fields during transcribing. Maybe the children had actually been baptised in Atzenbach in the village church. It is hard to be sure without the actual scans.

see also: https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAtzenbach

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 April 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
What exactly would an independent village be?  ???

I am unsure as to what the text means as regards independence from 1811. I understand it as the separation from the bailiwick of Zell.
Lower down, it says that Atzenbach and its neighbouring villages belonged to the parish of Zell until 1942, after which Atzenbach itself became a parish.

The borders and the parishes changed, but it looks as though Atzenbach was always a "part" of Zell.
Maybe I'm seeing that wrong.

Our village has more than twice the inhabitants of Atzenbach, has a large church (over 1000 years old) and the villagers are fiercely proud of the village name. All adds up to nothing when it comes to official matters, though - the paperwork always states the name of the nearby town.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 April 19 07:53 BST (UK) »
shot in the dark - could these be related to Emma ??

LAST NAME:    Hankle
FIRST NAME:    Dellie
MIDDLE NAME:    
BIRTH YEAR:    1885
BIRTH PLACE:    Tennessee
COUNTY:    Greene
Residence:    Civil District No 19, Greene, Tennessee
Household Members:    
J B Hankle (29, Male)
Beryl Hankle (26, Female)
Clifford Hankle (10, Male)
Junior Hankle (8, Male)
Minis Hankle (5, Male)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
I am very sorry that I did not reply to your additional posts.  I don't know what happened - I'm sure it was my error (rather than the possibility of not receiving notice of a new post).

I only came across this thread as I was doing a search for "California" (hoping to help someone with a California question) and noticed a Vogel thread.  :-[

I will look over your additional comments now.  Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.  I know how frustrating it can be to help someone and not have them reply - again, I am sorry that I didn't get back here before now.   :'(
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 June 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for you interest and help.  I think, with combined efforts, RootsChatters did indeed find "our" Vogel ancestors.  I've been busy with some things that have taken me away from genealogy, but I've been able to spend a few minutes here and there researching.

...Note: All these baptisms seem to be taking place in Zell im Wiesental, but this is ony 2k from Atzenbach.
There is a possible Vogel family with father Bart* and mother Magdalena Grass. Unfortunately thare is no obvious possibility for August(see: https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3Avogel~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Abart*~%20%2Bfilm_number%3A922055 )..."

TreeSpirit's findings helped to find the following:
Ernst Barthlin Vogel, born 17 Jan 1856, baptism 20 Jan 1856, Zell im Wiesental (A. Schonau), Baden, Germany
    Parents: Barthlin Vogel and Magdalena Grass
Louisa Johanna Vogel, baptism 25 May 1857, death 14 Apr 1858
    Parents: Bartholomae Vogel and Magdalena Grass
Carl Eugene Vogel, born 12 May 1858, baptism 24 May, 1858, Zell im Wiesental, Baden, Germany.
Emilie Vogel, born 9 Apr 1865, baptism 16 Apr 1865, Zell im Wiesental (A. Schonau), Baden, Germany.

Our Vogels (siblings) were: Ernest, Charles, August and Emma (Mrs. Emma Hankle).  They lived in various places, including Arkansas and Tennessee; I have numerous American records for them, including census returns.  Keeping the above baptisms in mind, I found the following interesting (about our Vogels):
Ernest B Vogel, born 1856, Germany.  Died 17 Jul 1900.  Source: FindAGrave   /  Ernest B Vogel, 1900 Tennessee Census
The initial "B" points to the possibility that his parents were Bartholomae and Magdalena.

Emma Vogel, born c1865, Germany; married Unknown Hankle.  Possibly this is Emma:
Amelia Henkel died in 1918, Tennessee, age 53 - so born c1865; born Germany as were her parents, father B. Vogel and unknown. Husband: Joseph Henkel.
Was Emma/Amelia really Emilie, daughter of Bartholomae and Magdalena?

I also found an obituary for August Vogel:
Born 21 October, 1859, Baden, Germany...attended schools "of Zell and at other places"..."learned the trade of machinist"...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nwq/
I will double-check my notes to confirm that this man was related to Charles, Ernest and Emma.  Note:  Among other documents, I have found a copy of a newspaper article from 1892, stating that Charles Vogel, of Wynne (Arkansas), was painting his brother, August Vogel's, house.

Aha!  I need to confirm that August was a sibling as I just found this item:
August Vogel, son of B. and M. Vogel...(the rest of the paragraph is similar to the article about his passing.)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nwr/

I have more research to do, but it does look like our Vogel parents were Bartholomea and Magdalena.  Thank you again as your interest and findings encouraged me to continue looking in America.  Apologies for the long text.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)