Author Topic: Germany: Vogel Brothers, born c1857-1859  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Germany: Vogel Brothers, born c1857-1859
« on: Friday 19 April 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Having never researched for German records, I am wondering if someone might be able to suggest if it is possible to learn more about the Vogel family, please?
All brothers immigrated to America in 1880.
Ernest Vogel - born c1857, Germany.  Died prior to 1910, presumably in America.
Charles Vogel - born March 1858, Germany.  Occupation in America: Painter.  Died 1909, Arkansas, USA
August Vogel - born 21 Oct 1859, supposedly in Atzenbach, Baden, Germany.  Died in 1895, Arkansas, USA
Emma Vogel - no details about her except that she was alive in 1909 and her name was Mrs. Emma Hankle of Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Any suggestions of where I might look (in Germany), please, to learn more about the family and their possible parents would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Vogel Brothers, born c1857-1859
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

That's not much to go on.  :-[

It is, however, better than nothing.  ;)

Atzenbach is tiny. It might be worth sending an E-Mail to the local authorities:

https://www.zell-im-wiesental.de/index.php?id=145&no_cache=1&publish[type]=bgroup&publish[sbwid]=6000263|1&publish[servicebwId]=Einwohnermeldeamt

(info@stadt-zell.de)

Edit: The link doesn't want to play properly. If you click on the link, then on "E" in the alphabet list, then on "Einwohnermeldeamt", you will get to the page I was trying to link.  ::)

Another possibility is the "Ortsvorsteher" (sort of a local mayor).
Bernhard Karle is your man for Atzenbach.

Click on "E-mail schreiben" under the text passage which is headed by "Ortsvorsteher Bernhard Karle":

https://www.zell-im-wiesental.de/de/rathaus-verwaltung/ortverwaltung-ortsvorsteher/

If the lads were born in Germany, it is likely that - with the exception of August - their names were a little different to begin with. Charles was probably Carl or Karl, whilst Ernest was probably Ernst.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen:

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.  I will try your suggestions.  While I thought Ernest and Charles were not so German-sounding, I didn't think of the possibility of Ernest being Ernst and of course of Charles possibly being Carl/Karl.  I will keep that in mind.

Thank you for your suggestions; this is a good start. Lisa

Note:  August's and Ernest's occupations were included on the image, but I cannot read the writing.  >:(  It is possibly Brewer?  I will have to look into that as well.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

You're welcome! Let's hope they can help you.

One queston: Which image are you referring to? There was nothing attached to your post (as far as I can see..!) so I don't know where you have the info from.

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen:

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't post the image; I worry about copyright issues.  I found the image on one of the pay sites; it was their arrival passenger list (1 Apr 1880, ship name - Canada, arriving New York).

Because there are very few 1890 American census records (I believe they were destroyed in a fire?), and because two of the brothers passed away "young", it has been difficult to find out much about the Vogels.  I've not finished researching in the states for them, so perhaps I may find something in America that can shed some clues.

PS  Thank you again for your interest.  :)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

You might get very lucky writing to the administration Zell as Karen suggested. In 2014 the „Ortssippenbuch“ Zell including Atzenbach was published. It contains the names of all citizens, collected from different archives. It’s 800 Pages and costs (in 2014) 50 Euro.

Good luck, Peonie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Peonie:  Thank you for your interest as well.  I am researching the Vogels for my husband.  I am quite used to English and Irish records; looking into German records is a bit intimidating but I am quite curious to see if anything can be found, so I will have to get over my hesitation and just start asking questions.   ;)  It's good to know of available resources.  Thank you, Peonie.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
A stab in the dark … you could go and check it if you have a family history centre in the neighbourhood:

“ATZENBACH: Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1806-1888” can be found on FS film # 922055. The scans are only available via a FHC, but there are indices online (info: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/258186?availability=Family%20History%20Library )
Note: All these baptisms seem to be taking place in Zell im Wiesental, but this is ony 2k from Atzenbach.
There is a possible Vogel family with father Bart* and mother Magdalena Grass. Unfortunately thare is no obvious possibility for August (see: https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3Avogel~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Abart*~%20%2Bfilm_number%3A922055 )

PS Here is the link to their 1880 immigration on – free site - FS (and yes it seems that 2 of them were brewers and one was a painter): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-5Y9B-5D?i=893&cc=1849782

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
Note: All these baptisms seem to be taking place in Zell im Wiesental, but this is ony 2k from Atzenbach.

Just to clarify that a little (in case Lisa is confused):
Zell im Wiesental is made up of a number of districts. Atzenbach is (today) the largest of these districts.
BMDs will therefore be recorded as Zell i.W.

On the German Wiki site for Atzenbach there is a list of local personalities. OK, so there are only 3 names  ;D but one is:
Vogel Emil, Schulrat, Lehrer, Direktor des Marianums in Wien und Prior der Gesellschaft Mariä in Freistadt (Oberösterreich).

This Emil Vogel was (famous for being) Superintendent of the Marianum school in Vienna and Prior of the Society of Mary (Marianists) in Freistadt, Upper Austria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Mary_(Marianists)

I haven't been able to find out when, though. Maybe he is related to your lads, Lisa.

Best regards,
Karen