Author Topic: Metal Bridge Cemetary Co Durham, Mcguiness  (Read 3245 times)

Offline rgferg65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Metal Bridge Cemetary Co Durham, Mcguiness
« on: Saturday 20 April 19 05:27 BST (UK) »
Looking for any, but particularly Edward died 1908 and Peter died 1935 (son) Mcguiness. also their wives Elizabeth died 1921 ne Grimley and Janet died 1933 ne Clark/Asselbrough.

Cheers

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Bridge Cemetary Co Durham, Mcguiness
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 19 05:57 BST (UK) »
Metal Bridge Cemetery, Ferryhill, County Durham.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi you seem to have asked this before but no replies so I'd guess that no one knows.

I have searched the web but am failing to find who is responsible for this cemetery.

Durham Record Office doesn't seem to have any records listed in their information leaflet for cemeteries and nothing coming up on Family Search.

If you can get there you could wander round and see if there is a headstone for any of these people, but not everyone erected headstones so that's hit n miss.
I'd suggest that you start by enquiring with Durham County Council to see if they can tell you where the records are held and by whom - the cemetery may be run by a town or parish council.

Though do bear in mind that there is a hefty charge of £25 by the county council  to search the actual burial records for you - and that would likely be per name.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 19 10:01 BST (UK) »
I do hate to be beaten, still can't help wth the cemetery registers but I had another firkle and found  the records in the deaths/funerals register for  St. Joseph, Patrick And Cuthbert's, RC Church Cornforth and the images are available on Family Search

Edward:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9GY-YW6L?i=563

Peter:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9GY-YWN1?i=645

Janet:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9GY-YWND?i=639

Can't see one for Elizabeth and the records seem to go straight from 1918 to 1922 on the same page so doesn't look there are any 'missing' pages where she may have been recorded.
Those records all say that they were buried at the Cemetery at Thinford (which looks in the right place to be Metal Bridge) and Edward's refers to it being the 'Catholic Cemetery' so I'd guess it may have been owned by the church. Its unlikely that that the parish kept a cemetery plan or recorded the plot info, but an enquiry to the parish may result in some information or at least tell you one way or another.

and I realise you may already have the above records, but if not you will be able to download them from the above links.

Boo

Offline rgferg65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 19 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo

Thank you so much for your replies, I did have the information, however not in this form, I have visited the cemtary at Metal Bridge in the early 1990's, but found no visible evidence of there graves(mostly flat grass from memory) I live in Australia so do find it difficult to to go and look. Once again I appriciate your help with this matter.
Regards Rgferg

Offline rgferg65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo

just looked at some pictures of Thinford cemetery on line, it did not look anything like Metal Bridge cemetery that I visited, it would have been no more than 75 yards square on the side of a small lane and very unkempt, with barely any grave stones, Thinford from the internet looks quite large with many gravestones and quite well kept, are they one and the same?

Cheers Rgferg

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 19 04:28 BST (UK) »
Durham Mining Museum has a genealogical section. A question on McGuiness and Metal Bridge.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/individ2/i22504.htm

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
If you can post links to these images you are looking at someone may be able to tell you if they are the same place - I don't know the area.

If, as I suspect, this was a church burial ground (even though its not within the church grounds) then I'd say that the parish register where their deaths were recorded (the links I gave) will be the only record in existence.
Had they been buried in a civil cemetery (owned and run by a local council) then there would be a cemetery register of burials and a grave register, but in my (limited) experience parishes (for any flavour of religion) didn't usually have such 'extra' registers. Given that, its unlikely that anyone will be able to tell you exactly 'where' in the cemetery they were buried.

Do also bear in mind that the 1920s and 1930s were times of extreme hardship for many families and the chances of there being a gravestone in the first place are greatly reduced.

It looks like the church at West Cornforth was demolished in the 1960s (it was falling down due to mining subsidence) and a replacement church with the same name was built at Coxhoe, so if you are going to enquire with the parish it would be Coxhoe you need to contact

http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/churches07/churchcontact.php?chid=134

Boo

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
There's no McGuinesses recorded in Cleveland FHS monumental inscriptions of Metal Bridge cemetery.

As far as I know the Catholic church at Coxhoe are responsible for the cemetery.

Jay