Author Topic: My Dad  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Sandysandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Dad
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 April 19 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomkin... That GIMP sounds good ,, I will give that a go, my bro told me last night her can get me photoshop ,,, fingers crossed... but I will still try the gimp... I did have photoshop a while ago on my old laptop .. but now only have a desktop and I haven't got it on here,,, (I wasn't very good with it anyway Ha Ha )
love Sandy
Baxter, Bingham, Wills, Fulleylove.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:18 BST (UK) »
Sandy, just wanted to tell you of my experience with different software. I started (about 2 years ago) with an old copy of Photoshop Elements that had been preloaded on my Macbook (PSE version 5, I think). I was quite happy with this but lost it when my hard drive died. I tried GIMP but couldn’t get used to it; it seemed unintuitive after using PSE. (This is not said to denigrate GIMP but to explain that I found it hard because I was by then hardwired to PSE’s way of doing things.) If you start with GIMP and stick with it (practise, practise, practise) it will serve you very well indeed.

So I bought a new PSE (v. 15)

In the last half of last year I had some problems with PSE. Every time I left what I was working on for a few minutes it became unresponsive when I came back to it. I had to do a forced shut down before I could resume. I put up with this for a few months but when it seemed Adobe weren’t going to do anything about it (there were several posts by other people having the same problem) I started researching alternative software. I downloaded a few trial versions of supposedly alternative programs up to say Au$140, but discarded them all as either being too primitive (toys) or too unintuitive/eccentric/clunky .

I was left with buying a new PSE or downloading a new version of GIMP and trying harder to understand it. Then I found that even people buying the new PSE were having the same problem as I was.

So I downloaded a new GIMP and found it easier than I had the first time around (I guess because I was a bit more experienced, and they have been actively working on improving GIMP's interface). I did a few restores early this year using it.

But then when the Macbook nagged me to update its operating system yet again I found that my PSE worked properly again - so I returned to my first love ;).

(Sorry, this is getting longwinded.)

In short, I liken restoring photos to carpentry. If you get quality tools and take the time to learn them the brand doesn’t matter. PSE and GIMP are quality tools. Get both  ;D ;D

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Sandysandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,,
Awesome advise ,,, good to know .. thank you for the sound advise. I will try both as the photoshop will be free, I might as well have it ,, even though the only thing I used to do with it was clean blemishes and scratches off my old ancestral photos, it was fantastic for that and easy for a thick head to use ,,, ha ha,
But I will def try both, ... but for me if something can go wrong it will lol. I will let you know how I go eventually, 
Love Sandy

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 April 19 08:06 BST (UK) »
Good on you, Sandy. :D

Two tips:
Learn the tools, tool by tool, from tutorials and from lots of practice (and the "Dummies" and "Idiots" series are good practical books for learning the basics - I have "Photoshop Elements 15 for Dummies"); and
Give the archives on here a workout. Look for restores of increasing difficulty, experiment with different tools/techniques, try to intuit what tools/techniques previous restorers of each photo have used to achieve the results/effects they have.

Then start working on current ones and start showing us your wares. ;D

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Sandysandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,,, I downloaded GIMP this arvo ... looks good, I also recorded a couple of tut's on utube,,, as for showing you my style,,, Ha Ha ,,, you might have to wait quite a while on that one ha ha.  I will be having a go at it this coming weekend ... excited I am.!!!!
Love Sandy

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy...A colour version from me.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 April 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
...and an alternative warmer version.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Wow! Lovely work, Carol. :D
Peter

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 April 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback Peter, it's much appreciated  :-* I did spend a lot of time on it.
Carol