Author Topic: Death of Esther Jones, 1902  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Esther Jones, 1902
« on: Saturday 20 April 19 08:54 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for a death or burial record for Esther Jones, aged 1-2 in 1902. Neither may exist but hoping someone may be able to help.

Esther was born in Patagonia to David Price Jones (DPJ)  and Cecilia Morley - no idea of exact date but DPJ’s first wife only died in Nov 1897. DPJ and Cecilia (otherwise Sillia) were married on 12 May 1902 and left Port Madryn (Patagonia) on 15 May on board the Orissa for Liverpool. I haven’t found passenger lists for that part of the journey but they and Esther were on board the Namidian which left Liverpool on 12 June 1902 and arrived in Quebec on 22 June. Esther isn’t on the 1905 census so assumed she had died.

Recently made contact with a distant relative who believes (from family stories) that Esther died on the train journey from Quebec to Saskatchewan and that the train was stopped, possibly around Ottawa, for her to be buried.

Just wondering if it’s possible that there would be a death or burial record in the circumstances.

Thanks

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Esther Jones, 1902
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a death of a David Jones, listed as female, age 8 months, b. Argentine Republic,
d. June 23, 1902 on CPRailway en route to Ottawa, infantile convulsions.
There are 2 pages,
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TF-QBCC?i=666&cc=1307826

DB

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a listing in the Ottawa Beechwood Cemetery, this time listed as a male
David Jones, b. South America, immigrant, d. June 23, 1902, age 7 months, 23 days,
infantile convulsions, on CPR train at (? can't make it out) Ottawa, burial June 24, section
pauper, parents Jones.

DB

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Gosh, that looks interesting. And the father was David.... was going to say maybe a language issue, but David and Cecilia were both born in the UK!).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks DB, seems too good to not be Esther, date, journey, birth place etc all fit. The relative thought her death was something to do with the change of climate, which could fit with infantile convulsions. Amazing, it was not a very hopeful request.

Is there an online link to the burial?

Deirdre

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I agree, seems too good not to be her. With emotions so high, :'( and accented English perhaps
information was confused.

I did have a look to see if the Beechwood Cemetery Registers were available elsewhere,
but no luck, only Ancestry I think. If you would like it, PM me your email.

I was just looking in the Ottawa newspapers to see if there was anything, but no luck.

DB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
The passenger list has Esther down as "inf" in the column that is for children under 1 year of age so it does look like Esther and David must be the same child.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
on CPR train at (? can't make it out) Ottawa,

Tough one!  I can see both "municipality of Ottawa" or "main st crossing of Ottawa", neither of which are probably right!

Deirdre, do you have a birth registration that shows Esther was actually... Esther?  Very odd that the death is for a David, male, but the set of circumstances makes it the same family.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
on CPR train at (? can't make it out) Ottawa,

Tough one!  I can see both "municipality of Ottawa" or "main st crossing of Ottawa", neither of which are probably right!

Deirdre, do you have a birth registration that shows Esther was actually... Esther?  Very odd that the death is for a David, male, but the set of circumstances makes it the same family.

Sadly no, not found many Patagonian records. Only have her name from the typed passenger list from Liverpool to Quebec on the Numidian. http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/numidian21902.shtml

I can’t make out where either 🤔