Author Topic: Terrible Trees On Ancestry  (Read 1853 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Trees On Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
The terrible trees on Ancestry are worsened by the "Was this helpful" pop-up thing at the bottom right hand corner when looking at name results in the Ancestry trees list. Same with the "need help" pop-up on FindMyPast that keeps reappearing even when I click the x button. They are teaching me to suck eggs. Maybe I can change my setting to stop these annoying pop ups which also can obscure links and text.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Trees On Ancestry
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 May 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
I remember when I started doing family history research it involved actually travelling to a records office often for a full day to get the most out of it. searching through microfiches or church record books, cross referencing with census details checking dates, names, addresses parents names on marriage certificates. Especially when a relative called Thomas born in say 1790 had 13 children all of whom then called their eldest son Thomas  :o There was a lot of effort and cost getting all those marriage and birth certificates

Now you can lie in bed, click a button and add in something that looks like it fits possibly meaning to go back and verify it later itís all got quite lazy.

I still need to have it on paper in front of me and visualise it for it to make sense. Once I have made sense though I love being able to add the detail to an ancestry tree with minimal effort.

Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.† (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.