Author Topic: Hugh Johnstone - Northern Ireland - Parents Married in Armagh - Help with Birth  (Read 157 times)

Offline RachaelCullinan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light for me on my great great grandfather.  His name was Hugh Johnstone and, from the Scottish Census records I have I can see he was born in Ireland.  He married my great great grandmother in 1880 in Scotland and I have him in census records in Scotland back to 1871.

His parents were John Johnstone and Mary Toole, married on July 1st 1857 in Ballymore in Armagh ( this is according to the birth records of two of Hughs siblings who were born after they moved to Scotland.)

I cannot for the life of me find Hughs birth record.  I have checked rootsireland and Irish genealogy.ie as well as ancestry and findmypast etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could possibly try next?

Thanks in advance for any help!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Johnstone - Northern Ireland - Parents Married in Armagh - Help with Birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Religion?
When was he born?
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline RachaelCullinan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Johnstone - Northern Ireland - Parents Married in Armagh - Help with Birth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
He was married in the Roman Catholic Church, so I'm assuming he was Catholic.

According to census records he was born between 1857 and 1860.

If you go by his age on his marriage line he would have been born approx 1858, and if you go by his death record then approx 1857.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 19 15:08 BST (UK) »

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0192  Ballymore and Mullabrack

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
His birth or the parent's marriage won't be on Irish Genealogy as birth registration only started 1864, RC marriages were registered also from 1864, so the parish records are your only hope.

It may be worth trying Irish Genealogy for younger siblings, that would give the father's occupation and a townland.
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Rachel,  I went searching in the Tithes Applotment books Irish genealogy Hub  ie http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/armagh/tithe-applotments/ballymore-parish.php knowing John Johnstone and Mary Toole, m July 1st 1857 in Ballymore . in Armagh 
in Ballymore
John Johnson       - Townland : Druminargal Year : 1830,
Johnston, John   - Townland : Clare Year : 1830
Johnston, John   - Townland : Demoan Year : 1830
in Mullabrack
Johnston, John - Townland : Magherdogherty Year: 1834
there were about 7 other Johnstone in Ballymore
there were over 20 other Johnstone in Mullabrack
there were no O’Toole in either, although there were Tole, and Toale 

then I tried Griffiths valuation for the whole of Co Armagh
using https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php   
Johnstone   John      Coofy      Tynan      Armagh
Johnstone   Robert   Killyfaddy   Lisnadill   Armagh
O'Toole   Bernard   Ballymacanab   Lisnadill   Armagh
O'Toole   Henry      Ballymacanab   Lisnadill   Armagh
O'Toole   John      Ballymacanab   Lisnadill   Armagh
O'Toole   Laurence   Newton Hamilton. Armagh Street   Newtownhamilton   
O'Toole   Rev. Daniel   Ballymore Tanderagee   Ballymore   Armagh 
[dated pub 1863,  The Rev O’Toole has   Property No 112 Market St Tandragee Ballymore with House Office and garden valued at £12pa no connection to a church shown although No 110 is the RC Chapel and 111 is the National School. see http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=019057&path=./pix/019/&rs=25&showpage=1&mysession=2648087313874&width=&height=
more O’Toole lived in Armagh city

The Rev Daniel hasn’t been mentioned by anyone on the topic so far.  Is he Mary’s father, uncle,  brother etc or perhaps the clergyman who married them but in which church, or was it a mixed marriage needing special permissions often down in county cathedrals etc
Ballymore had good C of I and Presbyterian relationship where the C o I have several Presbyterian records
So more questions where did Hugh grow up before Scotland.

Ballymore civil parish surviving church recordsare well covered in PRONI
Public Record Office Of Northern Ireland PRONI has an online  Guide to Church records  PRONI also has continuation valuation records from Griffiths to about 1922 

Good luck with your ongoing search but do try to follow up the advice already given to you and finally have a great holiday in Co Armagh

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide