Author Topic: San Francisco view  (Read 774 times)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Atkinson, Wearing/Warton Lanc, :Hayhurst,Kendall/Kirkby Lonsdale West,Barrow-in-Furness Lanc

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco view
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello , thank you for that link which I think one of the images proved successful as a comparison to my postcard , hopefully imaged attached which shows what looks like a factory or hospital or prison ? with a chimney attached on left of new image , you can see on my postcard this building to the right of the peak .I guess the photo was taken from the largest peak and showing the smaller one ? It would be great if someone recognized their home in the foreground of the postcard .
Regards
Alan

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 April 19 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello , I would be interested to know what that building with chimney was and when built and demolished.I can't see it on modern views today .
Regards
Alan

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 April 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
In reply to your original question of where the photo was taken, it looks like it may have been taken from Tank Hill looking toward the city.  If you zoom in on the brown hill, you will notice the same scar on the face of the hill.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7593948,-122.4486059,69a,35y,57.34h,75.7t/data=!3m1!1e3
Atkinson, Wearing/Warton Lanc, :Hayhurst,Kendall/Kirkby Lonsdale West,Barrow-in-Furness Lanc

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 April 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
I think the area was a quarry and the "factory" a brick making facility:

http://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Gray_Brothers_Quarry_at_Corona_Heights

Today, The Randall Museum is located on the right side of the hill, but above the area where the brick factory stood.  Other than the museum, the area appears to be mostly residential.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 April 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much , it was "bugging me " and I was looking in the wrong place .If you come across the date it was demolished I would appreciate it as it will give some clue to the date of my postcard .
Thanks again
Alan

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 April 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
You're more than welcome.  It was also bugging me that I couldn't find the two hills.  I finally discovered the horizon viewing on google maps and was able to find it that way.  You might try googling the Gray Brothers Quarry to search for when it was torn down.  But as Erato stated, if it was in the 50s, it won't help to date your postcard.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 April 19 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, another bit of fascinating SF history , glad its no longer there , it would be a blot on the landscape .I was wondering if the houses on the foreground of postcard if they were on Twin Peaks Blvd ? If I can pinpoint the road it might be fun seeing how many survive .
Regards Alan