Author Topic: Jewish Ancestry  (Read 2744 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
Isn't that the same ideal timing as Islamic? I'd always assumed that it was a hygiene - based requirement that developed in hot countries?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Yes -- I thought it was the hot country reason for Islamic burials.

However I have certainly noticed with this London based Jewish family the burials seem to be 2 days after the actual death on the generations I traced who were buried at the cemeteries shown on Cemetery Scribes.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Speedy burial is also connected with putting the soul to rest as quickly as possible. It is generally accepted that it is more important for religious reasons to bury quickly than to allow far-flung family members extra time to attend a burial. These days some clergy, especially Liberal and Reform, may grant more leeway, but that is not the norm. (As mentioned above, the Hoop Lane cemetery belongs partly to a Reform synagogue.)

After the burial there is traditionally a 7-day mourning period (shiva), so that family and friends, many of whom will not have been able to attend the burial, can gather together every evening to say prayers, pay their respects and comfort the bereaved.

You will find plenty more information online, but bear in mind that some of it may reflect American practice rather than English.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
You have all been most helpful and informative on this subject - thank you.

I have registered with the Jewish Gen website and made a token donation (20 dollars!) -- I'll see how it goes.
Places of interest;

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for raising this question .my christian great grandmother married a jewish man    her first name was given as Miriam at the synagogue wedding ...but all other documents had her given name .
I wonder if she didnt convert but just said she had for the Rabbi in Manchester .her home town was Birkenhead and after marriage she lived in London . I didnt know records of conversions existed.something else to look into
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
Pennines,

If she was buried alongside her husband in a Jewish cemetery, she most certainly would have had to convert to Judaism.

Nowadays, some Jewish cemeteries will have an "interfaith" section for non-Jewish spouses, etc., but there are strict rules governing such sections, e.g. there must be a physical barrier between the sections (like a road or a sidewalk), the non-Jewish section will not be consecrated ground, etc.

It would be interesting to learn when she converted and if, following said conversion, she and her husband also had a Jewish marriage ceremony.

As others have pointed out, Jewishness follows through the mother's line, so if she did not convert, her children would not have been considered Jewish. The boys would not have been circumcised by a mohel and would have had to convert if they wanted to have a bar mitzvah (I don't know when the practice of girls having a bat mitzvah started). Sons and daughters would have had to convert if they wanted to be married in a synagogue.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Josephine -- she was buried in a Jewish cemetery. I have been looking on the Jewish Gen site for evidence of a Jewish marriage, but cannot find one.

Everything points to her having done so though with the addition of her middle name Sarah (then from memory - at death - that name came first!)

Brigidmac --- I don't know - but if she married in a Synagogue I would think your ancestor would need evidence of her conversion. From what I have gathered so far the Jewish rules seem quite strict. You may not be able to find a conversion record -- I haven't so far - but good luck.

I have found this topic -- which is a new subject for me -- very interesting indeed.
Places of interest;

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:18 BST (UK) »
Pennines,

I would just add that JewishGen probably doesn't have every record from every synagogue, therefore it's possible that contacting the local synagogues (or whoever holds their archives) might yield some results.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 April 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
True conversion was a long process this link tells you something about it from the Ashkenazi jewish law but I think Sephardic law is very similar

https://www.theus.org.uk/article/conversion-2
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk