Author Topic: Jewish Ancestry  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Jewish Ancestry
« on: Saturday 20 April 19 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone.

I am attempting to research my brother in law's family tree and he has Jewish Ancestry on his mother's side.

His Great Grandparents married in a C of E Church -- although his Gt Grandfather was Jewish, his Gt Grandmother was C of E. at that time.

After the marriage his Gt Grandmother suddenly had a middle name of 'Sarah' which she didn't have before - in addition both Gt Grandparents were buried in Hoop Lane Jewish Cemetery in London, where they then lived. (London -- not the cemetery!)

Does anyone know please whether she would have to convert to Judaism after the marriage? Would this be why another 'given' name appeared? All the children were given names with Jewish connotations (so to speak) -- Abraham, Herman, Solomon etc etc.

I have no experience of researching a Jewish line before, but found a really good website for London Jewish burials called Cemetery Scribes -- which very helpfully gives parent's names! But other than that you don't seem able to search synagogue records except for an exorbitant fee to an American company (as far as I can see). Hence my query re the 'conversion to Judaism'.

Many thanks to anyone who can provide any insight into this.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Husbands grandfather jewish by birth married a Christian lady but she never converted and the children were not brought up jewish.
However usually jewish faith goes down the female line. having said that his 2nd g grandmother ajewess married a Christian and had 2 marriages a synagogue and a registry office.
I have seen names being changed for marriages between differing faiths.
as I have been researching I have a number of registers for London and if you care to give names I can have a look for you.
Sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandiep.

Thank you so much for responding -- as it isn't my own family I will contact you by personal message if that's OK -- probably tomorrow now as I am brain dead! (No change there then I hear you say).

Just let me know if you don't me to do that, otherwise you should receive a personal message from me.

Thank you again.
Places of interest;

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
happy to have a personal message might not answer till Monday or Tuesday have family coming for Easter Sunday but promise I will reply whether I find anything or not,
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
It may have been that she had an "unsuitable" (non-biblical?) name? Jewish descent is traced via the maternal line - if Mum was Jewish, you are, if Mum wasn't, it's iffy.
If you know the area they lived in, direct contact with the local synagogue may produce records?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Threlfall Yorkie -- thank you for your reply.

In this case the wife was definitely C of E and the husband was Jewish. After a marriage in her parish in Yorkshire -- C of E Church -- they moved to London where he came from, produced 11 children, all with Jewish names and she suddenly had a middle name of 'Sarah' which she hadn't had at baptism nor at the C of E marriage. (Nor on the pre marriage census records).

I hadn't known that Jewish descent was via the maternal line. How very interesting. This case is definitely the other way round as my brother in law's mother was Jewish -- but his father wasn't - and neither was he.

I have contacted Sandiep by personal message as invited -- in case they can help. I am just really curious -- and as they say 'Every day is a school day'!

I
Places of interest;

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
- and remember: "There's nowt as odd as families"!
Perhaps if she'd had a very non-O.T. name like .... Psyche, or something equally pagan, that's what I was thinking of, then at that time it may not have seemed as acceptable - and she might merely have adopted a more Jewish first name, to fit in with his family? Not impossible. We can all call ourselves whatever we want, remember! Good luck with your hunt.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
 I see what you mean -- didn't really happen a lot back then though -- not like these days when 'anything goes'. Quite honestly she probably had the most common Christian female given name!

I bet you can guess  --- but I'm not telling!
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
The discussion about given names has reminded me that in my own family tree -- the brother of my Gt Gt Grandfather married a Sharon Clegg. She was born about 1817 in the Accrington area (Oakenshaw).

I was a bit flabbergasted to find a Sharon born in 1817, especially in such a small place. The census enumerators and transcribers had a good time with it!
Places of interest;