Author Topic: Life in a Tailor family Horncastle and Wainfleet MARKWELL: Why Leave?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Life in a Tailor family Horncastle and Wainfleet MARKWELL: Why Leave?
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My ancestor was a tailor. I’d love to know what life was like for him and his family. I’m sorry this is such a long entry but I can’t really make it shorter. I had to break it into 2. He was Bartholomew MARKWELL b abt 1774, married Sarah JEFFREYS 15 Feb 1798 in Hameringham, bu 14 Mar 1840 Wainfleet All Saints 66y. Sarah was bp 7 Mar 1779 in Hameringham, dau of Thomas JEFFERY & Elizabeth and was bu 3 Oct 1848 in Wainfleet All Saints 69y.
Their children were born in Horncastle from Dec 1798 (sons Bart b 18 Dec 1798 bp 4 Jan 1799 Horncastle, ag lab, bu 20 Jul 1847 48y Wainfleet All Saints; Benjamin tailor Kenton St, Brunswick Square London b 14 Sep 1803 bp 24 Apr 1804 Horncastle m Elizabeth SMITH, in London I think, bankrupt applying for discharge Perry’s Bankrupt Gazette 20 Oct 1838 then to US, arriving 27 Feb 1852 on the Senator) (daughter Mary b 26 Dec 1801 bp 12 Mar 1806 Horncastle m 1 or 5 Sep 1833 Wainfleet All Saints to West LING, to Moreton Bay May 1849 on John Dunmore LANG’s Fortitude, bu 10 or 11 Apr 1849 Moreton Bay then Morpeth, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia). The family stayed to at least 1803, probably 1807 as on 9 Feb 1807 Bartholomew sat a Settlement Examination for Wainfleet All Saints.
Then the family moved to Wainfleet All Saints (sons Thomas b abt 1806 – 1811 (death cert says 1806 Wainfleet but that’s by report and the informer might not have known: was it 1806 in Horncastle really or later in Wainfleet?) m 31 Jan 1840 Harriet DICKINSON (later BUTLER then HUGHES) Wainfleet All Saints, boatman then labourer then drover then labourer, then to Moreton Bay 1862 on City of Brisbane, then died cutting down a tree 22 Nov 1862 Brisbane bu 23 Nov 1862 Wesleyan Burial Ground, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia; Samuel b abt 1814 m Mary Ann SHEARMAN 11 Jul 1844 Wainfleet All Saints, ag lab, to Moreton Bay May 1849 on John Dunmore LANG’s Chaseley as a farmer, bu Nov 1885 in Veresdale Cemetery in Queensland; Isaac (Beecham) b abt 1819 m 12 Nov 1839 Trinity Church, Parish of St. Mary, Islington to Mary Ann Harris, to Moreton Bay May 1849 on John Dunmore LANG’s Chaseley as a tailor, m2 19 Jul 1873 St. Thomas Toowong Brisbane to Ann Rhodes bu 25 Apr 1879 Toowong cemetery Brisbane; William (John Morley) b abt 1824 Horncastle from death cert, bp 1 Sep 1822 Horncastle Non-Conformist, m1 registered Jun Qtr 1841 Bloomsbury district to Mary Ann IZARD, to Moreton Bay May 1849 on John Dunmore LANG’s Chaseley as a tailor, m2 8 Dec 1853 to Georgianna EDMONDSTONE Brisbane, Queensland, m3 13 Jun 1872 to Harriet HUNT DAVIES née BEAL later JOHNSON St. John’s Brisbane, d 26 Oct 1881 57y Toowong bu 27 Oct 1881 Toowong cemetery, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) (daughters Sarah m Francis HOYLES 14 Feb 1831; Susannah m Mr. Jeremiah SHARP of Orby 6 Dec 1833 Wainfleet All Saints (dressmaker, Stamford Mercury 6 Dec 1833 p. 3); Elizabeth bp Horncastle 3 Jul 1813 but abode Wainfleet, m1 Zechariah ATKIN (a bachelor from Lincs to the Past but a widower from freereg) 29 Oct 1827 Louth St. James ( Zechariah d Mar 1836), m2 Jun 1844 as Elizabeth ATKIN to Joseph GIBSON Louth St. James; m3 28 Oct 1858 as Elizabeth GIPSON to Thomas William SCUPHOLM d Sep Qtr 1859 as Elizabeth Scupholm, bu 10 Jul 1859 54y Wainfleet All Saints from Lincs to the Past (called SUPHOLEN on freereg); Hannah m Tu 6 Jun 1843 to Mr. John Holmes (in Lincolnshire Chronicle 9 Jun 1843 p. 3)
Lincs to the Past has given a lot of this, and freebmd, freereg and freecen, mi.lincolnshire marriages, family search, online parish clerks, genUKI, certificates, British Newspapers from my library, Findmypast, the Castle Garden site, Queensland and New South Wales records, Brisbane grave location search, Chapel Hill family history photos, interment, austcemindex, Ian’s genealogy pages, ancestors of a Queensland family, Maitland burials and trove, an Australian repository that has photos, books, newspapers and more online. See e.g. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,320939.0.html 
I’m wondering lots of things.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Life in a Tailor family Horncastle and Wainfleet MARKWELL: Why Leave?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
I’m wondering lots of things. What was life like for a tailor family in Horncastle and Wainfleet? Would they have worked from home or had a shop? Did the dressmaker daughter(s) learn at home or elsewhere? What did they think of the textile movement uprisings? Was there a connection with John Wesley, who did preach in Horncastle when Bartholomew lived there? At least William (John Morley) in Horncastle and Harriet, Thomas’s wife in Wainfleet All Saints, were baptised non-conformist. Were they well off or poor or in the middle as they had enough money for Bartholomew the father’s death 11 Mar 1840 63y to be in the paper (Stamford Mercury 20 Mar 1840 p. 3)? Hannah’s and Susannah’s marriages were in the paper too. They both married “Mr.”s. However before Sarah’s marriage on 10 Aug 1829 in Wainfleet All Saints, a Sarah Markwell, pregnant, was removed from Friskney to Horncastle. Bartholomew sat a settlement exam 9 Feb 1807 to move to Wainfleet. Thomas was in the papers too, but not for good reasons. On Apr 20 1846 he was charged for a “pound breach” (Lincolnshire Chronicle 24 Apr 1846 p. 3). On 13 Jun 1858 at the Sessions House, Boston, as a drover of Wainfleet, he was given a 3 month sentence for stealing a coat from the roadside in Freiston (Lincolnshire Chronicle 15 Jun 1858). On 5 Aug 1858, when he was a drover, his son John, 4, died (Lincolnshire Chronicle 23 Aug 1858). Why did they move to Wainfleet? Why did the 2 tailor sons go to London? Why did one of those, Benjamin, go to the US with his family (maybe because he’d been bankrupt)? Why did the other, William Morley/ John plus Isaac and Samuel and families go on the John Dunmore LANG’s Chaseley to Australia in 1849? Mary went before them, also in 1849, on the Fortitude, maybe surname transcribed as WESTLING (her husband was West LING). The brothers who came on the Chaseley became or were already wealthy. John was even known as “The Moreton Bay Stultz” (a London tailor).https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_210189/s18378366_1948_4_1_20.pdf?Expires=1553807805&Signature=RpIVa2rZ7WTg1d7CogJ7zKa8xCE8X46Q2Yq8gUomWuByySEB9wbc6GC7AAPNsnlXY~xnCU0d4BBVdXID4VdraefSFbnhQUM-IbXpSTqgP8pLdP-21L8eckkWZt3PuF~CCFzILKipeZDVT0i8PkC9OUMotxvFCHPsATQtHmDRbwzCzWlamGrjF1~tTjk9l9vnSfy9~JCeosl0sOa8JVZoLJ9jsG50zqdMgt5jcc0fIo1kTrZ7E2DI1bTATfpGuIBicg5otd8N0Hpe8mL4BGCXAeMdBtQyl9phdvofidlhQGYmoN7B6fpyjcVfdI4C4GwXQpeVW~g~3zfqRDdZhHCk5Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJKNBJ4MJBJNC6NLQ

Why did Thomas go in 1862 to Australia? His parents had died by then and his sisters were married off or gone.
I’ve found various sites about tailors and about the industrial revolution, but none seem to quite fit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
You have put:
'I’m wondering lots of things.'

Simple direct questions are better than wondering.

You have:
'Why did Thomas go in 1862 to Australia? '
Why does anyone go to Australia - a whole lot of different reasons, some logical, some on a whim, some just because....

'What was life like for a tailor family in Horncastle and Wainfleet? Would they have worked from home or had a shop? Did the dressmaker daughter(s) learn at home or elsewhere? '
Internet searches for tailors anywhere in the country, or try a local history group, or library.

'What did they think of the textile movement uprisings?'
Probably they had as many different political views as people do nowadays.

'Were they well off or poor or in the middle as they had enough money for Bartholomew the father’s death 11 Mar 1840 63y to be in the paper (Stamford Mercury 20 Mar 1840 p. 3)? Hannah’s and Susannah’s marriages were in the paper too. '
Did the Stamford Mercury record just about everyone's marriage and death, or just selected people? 

Added:
Sorry, did not read all your information,do not deal with large paragraphs of dense facts, just too much, obscuring what you want to know.  Similarly with links to other long queries - how far to scroll back (to 2009??)?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Added:
Sorry, did not read all your information,do not deal with large paragraphs of dense facts, just too much, obscuring what you want to know. 

Chempat is right,  I am afraid I took one look at your post and moved on to another,  sorry.  :'(  The link you posted was not opening for me either. 

I had a tailor living in Lincoln around the same time as yours, I have been fortunate to see one of the  properties that he was occupying which is still being used as a retail outlet with substantial living accomodation.  One of his sons moved out to Australia in 1859.

Did your relation leave a will
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Similarly, I have not read the whole item, but I also have an ancestor who was a Tailor in one one part of Lincolnshire and moved to another part, but I don't know why - possibly a better business opportunity.

This was around 1720 and I was able to find that he took an apprentice in each town. one of his sons took over the business and kept it until he died in 1811. Both lived long lives, so possibly a good way to make a living.

David

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks all.
I guess this is about a wondering journey now, as I have a lot of facts. Sorry again to confuse people with them.
Thanks about the tailors in Lincs. That's the place, or the parts of England other than London, that it's been hard to find information about. It's great to hear from people related to tailors in Lincs.
It sounds like they were doing okay financially, not really poor and not really wealthy. That's why it confuses me that he did a settlement examination as I thought you had to be under the poor laws to do them.
However I just found this that says you didn't have to be a pauper to do a settlement examination.https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/settlement-certificatesexaminations-and-removal-orders-parish-poor-law/173/
Bartholomew could have been "A married trader or person renting a smallholding or farm who had stayed for 12 months, paid parish rates and rented property over £10 per year". Maybe this means Thomas really was born in Wainfleet All Saints.
This is the link about Moreton Bay Stultz that I meant to put in.http://www.oncewasacreek.org/the-creek/transformation/milton-drain/milton-brisbanes-western-frontier/
I tried the UQ link again and it wouldn't work for me either. I tried this search uq library fortitude immigrants e v stevens and got this one which did open. https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_210189/s18378366_1948_4_1_20.pdf?Expires=1555968880&Signature=GpOWUSRLGoQJcu2IUi3iGfDVSv1-4nZBuhHowzn223-6hto2yp8CztsbRpAG~woO27eTwpwOqxNIFELSZY0yM7oZmId9mH4CFZiNo0CQrAy39Ug1q4zai5fVuALs-W-jYreNcI-wvLpr2848piBndgC4RCaoKZQGyAU-FL0jBIMIbGICLAR~LrsKw8BykofvZADb9y01pFK0NQGKOuxYlbl6xoV6DP9LfEW4rXSia0BCXp2P86wr~9wA1pAwXDwk6wDB2YubLLGaCsdBEMMBCMaFMZ9gAVWXhqknljX3ambkTvCmOh5YWSJalr0jSCOS67vWq7w8i8Rp3nBiDMjICg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJKNBJ4MJBJNC6NLQ
That wasn't meant to go there but might be interesting for someone.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
You have given a great amount of information here but it is difficult to draw meaning from it.

Continuous text is difficult to read. Where your information includes a series eg names of children,  it is better to list this information....one child...leave a line...next child.

Continuous text is overwhelming and discourages people from reading.

There are push factors, where people are motivated to leave their homeland due to social / religious / political / family events. The potato famine is an example.

There are pull factors, where people are attracted to opportunities in another part of the world. The gold rush, and land grants to settlers, would be examples.

Chain migration sees people attracted to join family members who have already left.

Where your family have emigrated, look for extended family at the destination. 

If you see them on a passenger list, look to see if other people from the same town / county are also on the ship. Look to see if people with same job description are on the same ship.

Migration, 19th century, is a well researched area of study and I am sure you will find information online and in library.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 19 07:29 BST (UK) »
There is also a link shrinker at the bottom of this page which saves you posting 6 lines of link  ;D  This is what you could have posted

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01noy/

Thanks about the tailors in Lincs. That's the place, or the parts of England other than London, that it's been hard to find information about.

Lincolnshire has some excellent coverage in online newspapers and on lincstothepast
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks again all. Is there any way to delete this whole thread so I can start again later?