Author Topic: chromosomes in a twist  (Read 806 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
chromosomes in a twist
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to understand the link between individual chromosomes and ethnicity, which is pretty difficult for a scientific illiterate.

I have several matches on MyHeritage with Scandinavians, in particular two Swedes and one Norwegian who are allegedly my 3rd cousin to 5th cousin or 3rd cousin to distant cousin. I have no Scandinavian ancestors in recent centuries so this must go back at least to the Viking Age.

All four of us match on chromosome 5. Three of us match on chromosome 2, three of us match on chromosome 15 and three of us match on chromosome 18.

I have several other matches on MyHeritage who are closely related to me in recent time with the relationship proven by "paper-trail genealogy", and none of them show the same pattern of chromosome matching as the Scandinavians. The daughter of one of my 2nd cousins matches me on chromosome 15 with 47.4cM but her mother was from Orkney and 37% of her DNA is allegedly Scandinavian.

Is there such a thing as Scandinavian chromosomes?

Harry

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: chromosomes in a twist
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Harry, it is very difficult concept. One thing which I found helps, is to find articles on DNA and genetics aimed at children. They are explained in very basic terms and these articles provide a very good basis for when you want to advance your knowledge.

Martin

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:12 BST (UK) »

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Harry, it is very difficult concept. One thing which I found helps, is to find articles on DNA and genetics aimed at children. They are explained in very basic terms and these articles provide a very good basis for when you want to advance your knowledge.

Martin

There's an article in today's Observer about why adults shouldn't be ashamed of reading children's books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/20/adults-should-read-childrens-books-says-oxford-don-and-author

Harry

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 19 16:00 BST (UK) »
"Is there such a thing as Scandinavian chromosomes?"

No.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
This article from Roberta Estes gives some info:

https://dna-explained.com/2018/10/30/ethnicity-far-more-than-percentages/

Yes, she's very good and always worth reading. I read her blog about mtDNA J ("Jasmine").

Harry

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »

I have several matches on MyHeritage with Scandinavians, in particular two Swedes and one Norwegian who are allegedly my 3rd cousin to 5th cousin or 3rd cousin to distant cousin. I have no Scandinavian ancestors in recent centuries so this must go back at least to the Viking Age.

I know nothing about DNA matching, although am very interested in it. You say you have no Scandinavian ancestry that you are aware of, but could the match not work the other way round and its the Scandinavians who have distant British ancestry? or does it not work like that? Thinking maybe a fisherman/sailor who left a ship(and stayed permanently or had a brief encounter!!)   Just a thought!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
One of these Scandinavians does have some "Irish/Scottish/Welsh" ancestry (that's how MyHeritage describes it).

Roberta Estes' genetic genealogy blog has been mentioned. I have had a discussion there with a Norwegian lady, from west Norway, whose description of her DNA sounds very similar to mine, with a mixture of Scandinavian, Finnish, British and a few other bits and pieces. Incidentally, the three Scandinavian matches I mentioned before all share Finnish DNA with me (allegedly!).

It's instructive to check out your DNA with more than one testing agency. MyHeritage allot me  19.3% Scandinavian DNA, but on FTDNA Family Finder, I have 33%. When I originally tested with them the Scandinavian component was smaller but I also had 5% Finland and North Siberia, which they later deleted. As has been said many times, it's good clean fun but not to be taken too seriously ( and I haven't mentioned my Iberian, Italian, Baltic, North African and Nigerian bits!).

Harry

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 19 22:47 BST (UK) »
There is no correlation between chromosome numbers and ethnicity.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn