Author Topic: East India Company Employees  (Read 2626 times)

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: East India Company Employees
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
The Charles Oakley we've been researching on this thread was a soldier - he joined the army in August 1855, was born in Kidderminster and was an iron puddler by occupation. On marriage in 1871 he is recorded as a bachelor. He was in the army until August 1876 and spent most of army career (nearly 19 years) in India.

I see from earlier threads that your man was a bricklayer per his daughter's 1856 birth certificate and her 1875 marriage certificate. That doesn't fit with Charles the soldier (from 1855 to 1876) and iron puddler so I think this is a false trail.

I don't think it is a false trail.
In the 91 Census, Charles is listed as a Bricklayer also, along with his daughter who was born in India.

Also, the birth certificate I have for his other daughter, lists her to be born in Bromley by Bow. There were almshouses and docks here for the East India company and India Office.

This is why I think it all ties in.
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
The one in Walsall in 1891 is certainly the ex-soldier, but he's a bricklayer's labourer, not a bricklayer. Not the same thing.

In 1881 he's just a labourer.

In 1856 and 1875, when your Charles Oakley was recorded as a bricklayer, this Charles Oakley was a soldier (a Sergeant in 1875), having told the army that his occupation was iron puddler. It just doesn't fit.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
Also he was a soldier in the British Army. No connection with the East India Company.

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:09 BST (UK) »
Also he was a soldier in the British Army. No connection with the East India Company.

Ah back to square one then. I thought I'd solved a 10 year mystery!  :-\

Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage certificate give an address for Harriet? You have said that one of the witnesses was Mary Ann Archer - who was the other witness?

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage certificate give an address for Harriet? You have said that one of the witnesses was Mary Ann Archer - who was the other witness?

Marriage between Harriet Oakley and Alfred Fuller. Forest Lane, Forest Gate.
Witnesses were James Parish (will try to post a picture, not 100% sure it says Parish) & Mary Ann Coventry

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:47 BST (UK) »

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
I see your difficulty.

Of the bricklayers named Charles Oakley that I can find in the censuses:

- The one in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (with wife Phoebe) emigrated to Australia in April 1855.
- The one in Surbiton (Kingston) is too young (born circa 1844).

All others are too young

There is an Uxbridge newspaper report in 1865 of a Charles Oakley, bricklayer, beings asked to show why he should not contribute to the maintenance of the illegitimate offspring of Mary Ann Archer.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
The one in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (with wife Phoebe) emigrated to Australia in April 1855.

But his son Charles (born Hackney circa 1830) wasn't with them! It looks like he followed on in 1861 (arrived NSW on the Hotspur in February of that year).