Author Topic: East India Company Employees  (Read 2656 times)

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: East India Company Employees
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
The one in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (with wife Phoebe) emigrated to Australia in April 1855.

But his son Charles (born Hackney circa 1830) wasn't with them! It looks like he followed on in 1861 (arrived NSW on the Hotspur in February of that year).
Is it possible that Charles junior came back?
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 19:23 BST (UK) »
Why do you think he might have come back? Online trees suggest he died in Braidwood NSW in 1882.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Why do you think he might have come back? Online trees suggest he died in Braidwood NSW in 1882.

Well, I'm just wondering if it could of been him.
Thinking there must be a reason why Charles, Mary & Harriet don't seem to appear on 61 and 71 Censuses, and I'm wondering if it's because they're out of the country.
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thinking there must be a reason why Charles, Mary & Harriet don't seem to appear on 61 and 71 Censuses,

The likely reason that occurred to me was a change of name - perhaps Harriet's mother married someone else and Harriet appears in the censuses under her stepfather's surname.

Are you sure the mother's maiden name was Covington? In think I saw an online tree that had it as Corrington.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thinking there must be a reason why Charles, Mary & Harriet don't seem to appear on 61 and 71 Censuses,

The likely reason that occurred to me was a change of name - perhaps Harriet's mother married someone else and Harriet appears in the censuses under her stepfather's surname.

Are you sure the mother's maiden name was Covington? In think I saw an online tree that had it as Corrington.

Ive seen that too. Harriets birth certificate says Covington, and her marriage certificate has a witness named Coventry.
I've looked up various things with these names, but had no luck.