Author Topic: Problems Accessing to Fold3 records on Ancestry  (Read 587 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problems Accessing to Fold3 records on Ancestry
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone access a record for me please?  I have a full FindMyPast subscription and an Ancestry subscription but I need to look at a record which is on Fold3, which I am having problems to access from the UK.

I've found an army record on FindMyPast for Benjamin Crossley of Penistone, who enlisted in 1808 aged 20 (born 1788).  I cannot find a Benjamin born at this time, though he could have lied about his age when he joined up. 

I checked on Ancestry and there's a Chelsea Pensioner record for the same Benjamin (of Penniston, Yorkshire) but with different age - born 1785.  I'll post the link here:
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61068&h=252195&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true#?_phcmd=u('https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/39/?name%3Dbenjamin_crossley%26count%3D10%26military%3D1808%26military_x%3D0-0-0%26name_x%3Dps_ps%26successSource%3DSearch%26queryId%3DzRDLr/l7Je3/j%2Bx3cN4ydw%3D%3D','successSource')

'My' Benjamin was born 1785 but I have him married off with a big family!!  There is one other Benjamin in the Penistone baptism records who was baptised 1784; I suspect this soldier is the latter but I'd like to check and make sure I haven't made a huge mistake in my research.  The discharge says he asked to be sent to Huddersfield with his wife and three children. I can't find them on the 1841 census.

This may turn out to be the same record as the one on FindMyPast but because there are slight differences in the descriptions, I think it's worth comparing them to see if I can prove which Benjamin this was.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Fold3 on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen the Fold 3 record but per the one on FindMyPast he was aged 433/4 years in December 1831 so born circa March/April 1788.

I think the Fold 3 transcriber has read "Twenty years" as "Twenty three"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Accessing to Fold3 records on Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded the PDF for you on Fold 3. Its 10 pages long.

If you send me your email address in a private message, I will send it to you if you still need it.

thank

Shaun

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Accessing to Fold3 records on Ancestry
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
I can now confirm that the records on Findmypast and Fold 3 were exactly the same.  But Fold3 had got Benjamin's date of birth and date at discharge wrong by three years.  Just goes to show, we should never rely on transcripts without looking at the original records.  I am not sure how the Fold3 transcribers read 'twenty years' as twenty three, or how they read '43 and 3/4' as 46 when it's clear as day, but there you go.
I am pretty sure now that this is not a man from my immediate family, but he seems to have had an interesting life which is worth reading about.
Thanks all!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)