Author Topic: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer  (Read 3187 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
We shall be visiting Kleve on the Dutch-German border and the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery in a few weeks time.  It is a tranquil place, surrounded by the forest which has regrown after the ravages of WW2 battles and is beautifully cared for by the CWGC as always.

We do not have any relatives buried there, but find it a very moving place, especially when you see the ages of the men buried there.  There are over seven and a half thousand graves there, mainly for Royal Air Force men, but some also for Polish fighters.

If you have relatives buried there and would like to have a photo of their graves, please let me know their names (by PM if you prefer),  and if possible look for their plot number on the CWGC website for Reichswald Cemetery.  Please let me know by the first week in May.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
Message to Moderator -

I'm wondering if this entry could be moved to the Armed Forces/WW2 section, as there have been no replies so far and the time of our visit is drawing near.  I wouldn't like someone to miss the opportunity of having a photo of their relative's grave, just because they have not seen this posting.

Thanks
Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
Why not use the 'Report to moderator' button?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carol.  I thought that was only for misdemeanours! ???

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
So did I until I read the instructions :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:58 BST (UK) »
This is a very kind and generous spirited offer that you have made GillyG.

I don't have any war ancestors buried at this particular cemetery.  However, in my area we have a great local website/group called 'North East War Memorials Project'.  There is a section for each area called 'Every Name A Story' where individual stories which have been researched are listed.

I wonder if you might be interested in contacting them to ask for one name of someone from the North East who might be buried in this cemetery?

I am sure they would greatly appreciate if you might be able to take a photo of a grave for them and I am sure any descendants who might check in, would appreciate this too.

I am attaching a link to the 'Every Name A Story' for my home town on this website so you can see the sort of research which is being done:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1639

This website is also being preserved by the British Library.

Of course, this is just an idea and you may prefer just to do this for an individual who may come forward with a request.

Also, just to add that the 'North East War Memorials' project will be appearing at the local history fair at the North Shields library on 11 May 2019 if this might be of interest to anyone.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 April 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, RTL.  Certainly something to consider following up.
Gillg

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 19 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi GillyG,

That is good to hear that you might consider following this up.

I have since noticed that there was a man from my home town who was buried at this cemetery.  His name is recorded on the local cenotaph and he currently has only a short write up on 'Every Name A Story' on North East War Memorials Project.'

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1639&displayorder=94

This is his CWGC entry:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2056476/lowndes,-george-edward/

Apparently, George Edward Lowndes, mentioned above was one of seven crew who were all killed during a crash on a mission to Dortmund.  Poor chap was only 23.  I believe he had only married the year before.

You may not have time, - but if you do just  happen to spot this man's grave stone whilst there, - it would be great if a photo could be taken and added to his commemoration page.

Your kind offer to take a photo for someone has reminded me of an article which I came across in an old local newspaper.  The J. Conroy written about below was my ancestor Jacob Conroy.  I wonder, if his family, - my ancestors - would have had mixed feelings about getting a photo of their son's grave.  It must have been so devastating for them to see a photo of an immediate family member's grave - so sad that he was killed so young, only in his twenties!  However, I am sure they would have greatly appreciated this man's kindness, as I doubt Jacob's family would have been able to afford to travel to Ypres to see his last resting place and pay their own respects.  Jacob's Father and brothers were all coal miners.

Shields Daily News - Friday, 07/09/1923:

'On Belgian Battlefield'.
To the Editor of the "Shields Daily News
"Sir, - On a recent tour to the Belgian battlefields I visited many of the English cemeteries in the Ypres salient and cannot help but express appreciation of the work of the War Graves Commission. It is a comfort to see the beautiful resting places of those so violently and shockingly killed in war- those hallowed resting paces which will ever mark the sacrifice of English Manhood for all that civilisation means.
In the cemetery just outside the Menin Gate at Ypres, headstones are supplanting the pathetic wooden crosses set up to the dead, and in this cemetery I visited the graves of the following men belonging to the local regiments. They are2554 Private E. Scott. D.L.I., killed May 27, 1915.7049 Private G. Lodge. D.L.I. killed Sept. 25, 1915.12393, Private J. Marchbanks, D.L.I. killed September 1915.11950, Private J. Conroy, D.L.I. killed September 1915.11874, Private J. Gibson, D.L.I. killed September 1915.2895, Private H. Doyle, killed September 25 1917. I took photographs of the above, and will gladly supply relatives with these if they apply to my address. I left Belgium feeling ineffably sad and yet proud of our dead which are not forgotten - our dead lying in those well cared for cemeteries, on which God seems to smile and all is peace... Yours, etc.
Thos Taylor. 21 Stanley Street, North Shields. Sept 6 1923.'

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 19 11:52 BST (UK) »
I've located Sergeant Lowndes' gravestone on the cemetery plan, so will take a photo and send it to the website you mention