Author Topic: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer  (Read 3185 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reichswald Forest War Cemetery visit offer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Gillg.  It is very kind and generous spirited act you will be doing.  I wish you all the best for your forth-coming trip.

It would be lovely to hear more of your experience on here, once you get back. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
We visited the Reichswald Air Force Cemetery on a bright sunny day.  This peaceful spor, surrounded by the forest trees and alive with birdsong, is beautifully cared for by the CWGC, like the other war cemeteries.  It was not difficult to find Sgt. George Lowndes' gravestone as the rows and numbers were clearly marked.  George's stone stands next to those of his crew - the pilot, navigator, flight engineer (Lowndes), gunner and flight officer. Reading the ages of the men whose names are on these stones is heart-breaking - George was 23 and recently married.  There are stones for fallen Canadian and Polish airmen, too, and also a small number of stones bearing simply the inscription "Known unto God" - honouring men who could not be identified.

I am forwarding the photos we took to the website RTL suggested and hope they will be of interest. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillg,

Many, many thanks for finding this grave and taking photos which you will send to NEWMP.  :D Your photo is very good - I can make out his inscription very well.  Your write up of your visit is very moving - thank you for letting us know more about your visit.

I have found and have sent them the death notice which was put in the newspaper by his wife.  Hopefully, this will be added soon and this together with your wonderful photo will help expand his story:

Evening Chronicle - Monday February 4, 1946:

'Lowndes (Whitley Bay), In loving memory of my dear husband, George Flight Engineer, R.A.F., killed Feb 3, 1945; also gallant crew.  Always in our thoughts.  Sadly missed by his loving wife Elsie and baby Patricia. R.I.P'

It is so very sad that he never got to see his baby daughter grow up. :'(

I am looking forward to seeing your photo of his grave up on the website.  I think this will be an excellent tribute to his memory and will help ensure that his sacrifice will be remembered, especially in our area.

It is good to hear that the graves are 'beautifully cared for'. 

Once again, many thanks for what you have done.  This is very much appreciated that you took the time to do this.

I hope that if other RootsChatters go to visit a war grave Cemetery overseas that they may follow your generous spirited example and offer to take a photo for someone else, if they can.  Local war groups such as NEWMP do marvelous work in trying to ensure that war dead are not forgotten and I am sure this group will be very pleased to receive your photo Gillg.

Best Wishes :)

Lest We Forget

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
I received an almost immediate and most appreciative response from Janet at NEWMP.  She tells me that the photo will be uploaded onto the site soon.  The newspaper tribute from his young bride which you found will be special addition, too.  How sad that he never saw his little daughter.  I wonder if she knows about the site or has visited the cemetery.

Not far from the Reichswald cemetery, but on the Dutch side of the border, is the Canadian war cemetery of Groesbeek.  This I have also visited to see the name of my uncle listed on a wall rather than a gravestone.  Sadly, although he is assumed to have fallen somewhere near Arnhem, his body was never found, so he does not merit a gravestone.  Like George Lowndes he never saw his younger son, and his older son, only a few years old at the time, has no memory of his father either.  What dreadful times and what a waste of human lives! 

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 May 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
That is great to hear that you have had a response from Janet who has related that the photo and my memoriam notice will go up soon.

The Cenotaph is our local monument and George Lowndes is the only named person in the cemetery you visited.  It is my personal goal to try to get as many names on this monument researched and remembered in my life time, so I have been sending it bits and bob's that I find and occasional photos to NEWMP.  Some of my own ancestors are on there.  Other NEWMP researchers have done stirling work in developing my ancestors stories in addition to the family background info which I sent in. 

I hope over time, to see more added to George's 'Every Name A Story'.

I agree in that both wars were dreadful times and such a waste of lives on all sides.  I have come across so many tragic stories.  The youngest person in my home town who was killed (WW1) signed up at 15.  Apparently they accepted him because he was tall.  However, I have seen a photo of him in an old newspaper and his baby face makes him look like a child.  I wonder if he rued joining up over soon when he realised the realities of war.  When I was at the archives researching the hospital death record of my Grandmother, I also came across the death record for this boy's Mother.  She had died of liver cirrhosis.  Of course, I don't know but I do wonder if she might have turned to drink after he was killed.  Her memoriam for him sounded so bereft and heartbreaking.  How sad for those left behind!  I also came across one man who had been washed over his ship and never seen again, on all days - Christmas Day!  I doubt Christmas day would have ever have been the same again for his poor wife and young children.

This is so sad about your Uncle and others like him who have no known grave - also that your Uncle's children were deprived of their Father.   So many left behind suffered sacrifice too.  :'(

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
A couple of death notices were placed for George in the Birmingham Mail - Tuesday 16 October 1945:

'LOWNDES (George E), Sergt. Flight Engineer,  R.A.F.  Missing from air operations February 3 1945.  Now reported killed.  Sadly missed by wife Elsie and Patricia.
LOWNDES (George E).- Srgt. Flight Engineer, R.A.F., dearly beloved son of Mr and Mrs G. Lowndes, Perry Barr.  Missing from air operations, February 3, 1945.  Now officially reported killed.- R.I.P.'

So it would seem that it was not until eight  months after his death that his family received official notification about this.  How sad that they must have waited on tenterhooks all that time, only to have their hopes dashed that he might still be alive, somewhere.

I will send these notices off to NEWMP too.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:44 BST (UK) »
George Lowndes' birth appears to have been registered in Kings Norton in Dec Q 1922, son of George and Charlotte (nee Cook). George and Charlotte were married in Newcastle under Lyme in June Q 1914.

Still working on George junior and Elizabeth Elsie Patterson's marriage in June Q 1944, as it looks as though she may have been a widow.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Gillg.

It might be that George was one of four children.

I can see three female births using Freebmd which may have been possible siblings:

A Kathleen born March q. 1917 Newcastle L.

Also, M. M. born June q 1920 King's N.
& C T June q 1924 King's N.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 May 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
There is also this article in the Staffordshire Sentinel - Tuesday 22 August 1939 below.  I think this relates to the death of George's Grandmother.  It would appear that George's Grandfather was an important Alderman in the area.

'LATE MRS E.T.E. COOK

WIDOW OF NEWCASTLE ALDERMAN

FUNERAL TRIBUTES

The funeral took place privately, at St Giles' Parish Church, Newcastle yesterday, of Mrs. Charlotte Cook, widow of Alderman E. T.  E. Cook, who died at her home, 58, Penkhull-street, Newcastle, on Thursday, at the age of 76.

The service was conducted by the Rev. C. C. Ellison, and was followed by interment in Newcastle Cemetery.

The chief mourners were Mr. and Mrs. William Cook, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Cook and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Cook (sons and daughters-in-law), Mr and Mrs L. Skerret and Mr. and Mrs. George Lowndes (sons-in-law and daughters), Messrs. Jackie Cook, George Loundes, jun,; Teddy Cook and Stanley Cook (grandsons), Mrs Winnie Hubbard, Mrs Josie Ford, Mrs Lottie Fulcher, Mrs Hilda Connelly, Miss Phillis Cook, Miss Kathleen Lowndes, Miss Marjory Cook, Miss Minnie Lowndes, Miss Peggy Cook, Miss Connie Cook, Miss Lottie Lowndes and Miss Minnie Cook (granddaughters), Mr. J. Cook (nephew), Miss Polly Cook (niece), Mrs A. E. Williams, Mr. J. Cook and Mr. J. Laughlan (Birmingham). .....'