Author Topic: Earning money for genealogy research?  (Read 2783 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Earning money for genealogy research?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 06:43 BST (UK) »
Researchers are very useful for niche areas.
Myself, I have paid for Railway research at TNA, and Jersey (CI) research. Well worth it each time.

If you want to offer your services it has to be in an area that a member of the public would find difficult to research themselves.

Otherwise they will simply use Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, etc., etc.
3 generations is something anybody can do, with minimal effort.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Earning money for genealogy research?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 April 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
Most people nowadays like to do their own research and for those of us who know the ropes, it is comparatively easy to go back three generations from one family member with a date and place of birth.  However, here's a thought for you:

What holds a lot of older people back is that they are not very computer literate and need a helping hand to get started.  I was involved in a local project a few years ago, obtaining funding for computers and offering basic IT training for local people.  The aim was to enable people to have the confidence to shop online, use skype to contact family members who lived away etc.  We also asked what recreational uses people would like to learn.  Family history research came very high up on the list.

So, if there was anywhere near you (a library perhaps?) which had computers you could use, you might find it useful to run courses teaching people how to access data online so they could do their own research.  If people had their own laptops/tablets, a room or hall with wifi would suffice.  I have no idea how much you would charge.  However, several places around where I live do arts/crafts workshops which are very popular and the charge for these is generally about £35 per head for the day which includes a light lunch and tea/coffee.  So maybe if there was a pub/cafe/hotel near where you are which could provide the room and the food, for a max of say, £15 a head, you might have yourself an earner here.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk