Author Topic: Earning money for genealogy research?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Earning money for genealogy research?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 April 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
I don't know where you're located, how big your town is or what you're studying but maybe you could get a start [and some advertising] by writing a few articles for your local newspaper about interesting historical events or people in your town.  You could do it with a genealogical slant.  If the articles are well received and generate positive comments from readers, the paper might even pay you.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Now: that last idea sounds like the best one to me. There have been other posts about people wanting to take on research tasks for fees, and with so many talented amateurs, I suspect you'd have to have exceptional access to resources, and lay out quite a lot on subs to sites to manage anything that would prove financially rewarding.
Offering local interest columns for a small fee might work. Take well-known ( and numerous!) historical local family names, and start hopping about in early church registers and censuses. Don't come too up to date in case you hit family secrets! ... you never know, a descendant of a family might ask you to do more ( for a fee)?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Sorry I wasn’t sure which topic/forum to post this to.
I am a final year university student and in the past year have found a great passion for searching my family history. I have a long summer ahead and came up with the idea to maybe lend out the research tricks I have learnt in the past year to find other people’s ancestors.
My idea was to offer a service whereby people would ask for maybe 3 generations back including names, locations, occupations etc of their ancestors. (I would be offering this in my local area only)
I was wondering what other people’s perspectives were on this? Whether you think it’s a viable thing to get into for the summer? And any tips/tricks on going about it. Or how I could charge for what information?
Thankyou for any input, I appreciate your views.
Ruby

Simple answer : Sorry but no.

Pre-internet it was a way to make a small income but now the type of people who would use your services are more likely to do it themselves online using one of the many online companies that offer massive databases of information.

It is still possible to make a living out of research but to be successful you really need experience and a proven track record to promote your image.

It is a sad truth you would probably make more money in less time flipping burgers.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:34 BST (UK) »

It is a sad truth you would probably make more money in less time flipping burgers.

Cheers
Guy

Maybe combine the two and sell burgers outside a Cemetery?

;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
I have had some success doing research for others - but it's not lucrative!

I am now an accredited Independent Researcher at the Manx Museum.
Which simply means that the Museum sends a list of researchers, their specialities, and contact details to interested parties.
And there are other researchers, too.

Some then contact me, and I explain my charges and how I work.

If they are interested, then we come to an agreement.
Currently looking into a Bridson family; last commission was for a Kennaugh family.

Local knowledge helps, as does knowing my way around the various records available.
I also take photographs of gravestones and houses of interest.

BUT I still get people who expect to get all this for nothing! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
So, all round, the O P's question draws the answer from us - "Not very likely, try something else as a vacation job"?
Better to be realistic.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
So, all round, the O P's question draws the answer from us - "Not very likely, try something else as a vacation job"?
Better to be realistic. 

Agreed.  When you have built up several years' experience, and perhaps retired from your remunerative day-job, some genealogical consultancy may bring in a bit of pin money.  Until then, do it as a hobby.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 23:36 BST (UK) »
I think Marmalady has summed it up perfectly. As we on here know only too well, you can spend hours researching and come up with very little, you can't charge by the hour if you don't get results. Many people who enlist the help of genealogists want professionals who can root out the elusive relatives and would want the results printed out in a professional manner. You can expect to spend months rather than weeks as your research would need to be backed up with supporting documents to ensure that your research is accurate.
You may be better off finding employment with a guaranteed income.
Good Luck with your degree.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 05:52 BST (UK) »
https://www.cyndislist.com/us/ut/professionals/

This would be some of your competitors. RootsChat is a major source of genealogical research. Would I use a researcher. Yes if I was seeking a family from lets say Switzerland or Poland or Lithuania. And I had the money to fund the research. I have had success on a complex South African line
from RootsChatters there. Most clients for researchers have money and the desire to trace their ancestry and the lack of their own time/desire to research themselves.